Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mounting front wheel assembly to forks

Here is the order of assembly. The nut should be inside the brake plate and run down to the end of the thread. Bearing adjustment is done at the other end. The tapered spacer sits loosely on the outside of brake plate. I can measure one later if no one gets there first.Or you can just buy one from Drags or Russell's. Ron

scan_160117_0001

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I just measured a spare spacer which is 1 11/16" diam at the wide end and 5/16" thick.

Ron

ron - thanks for the dimensions.

i figured out the nut - its actually part number48 in tha diagram -and should be on other side of axle to clamp speeo drive and spacers on.

no wonder my wheel wasnt centred ...

Hi.

Sorry to jump in, but how many spacer/washers should be on the speedo side? The photo and Drags say 2, Russell's say 1 I don't think that I had any on mine when she was
on the road last.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

If you are going to make this spacer it has a relief on the rear as shown. Item 42 in the diagram above has a shoulder that fits into the brake backing plate and this relief appears to be there so the backing plate is firmly gripped.
I can measure that tomorrow if you do need that dimension?

Dave Boocock
Hi.

Sorry to jump in, but how many spacer/washers should be on the speedo side? The photo and Drags say 2, Russell's say 1 I don't think that I had any on mine when she was
on the road last.

Dave

Dave it's a strange thing that BSA fitted two spacer washers here and they are clearly shown in the parts list. But I have seen bikes fitted with two and also one. As it happens my WM20 is fitted with one 'extra thick' washer and my M20 special has the two as stated. So unless Les is selling the extra thick spacer washer, I'm not sure if he is right Ron

Thanks Ron,

Yes it does seem to be a bit confusing. I don't know what the thickness should be.
I don't have any Mic's to measure the thickness, but will be able to hopfully this week.

Dave

Dave, this old discussion has some good dimensions info and touches on the 1 or 2 washer topic.

HTTP://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1253103&cmd=show

Item 46 is very important as if that is left out the speedo drive can be deformed (as was done on one of my M20's at some point).

Ray
If you are going to make this spacer it has a relief on the rear as shown. Item 42 in the diagram above has a shoulder that fits into the brake backing plate and this relief appears to be there so the backing plate is firmly gripped.
I can measure that tomorrow if you do need that dimension?

ray - its Ok part 42- the shouldered nut was there.
i actually have the part part
just need the spacer= thanks for the relief info

Just a quick question here. Between which spacers/nuts etc. does the speedo drive fit?

email (option): meck04@bigpond.com

Mark. Refer back to the parts list drawing I posted. Spacer washers 47 and nut 48 are on top of the speedo drive. Washer 46 sits in a recess inside the speedo drive. Ron

Hi Ron and Ray,

Ray thanks for the link to the other thread. It was very helpfull in giving the thickness of the said washers.
Ron, I managed to measure the thickness. My neighbour had a set of Mic's, he is an ex BSA employee, and is 96, and was working at BSA until Feb 1942 when he was called up.
We both measured the thickness, the washer was 0.125 thou, the same as what Neale mentions. So it is not one of Les's thick washers.

Dave

Yes that's 1/8" Dave which sounds exactly right. Two needed to make up the 1/4" required spacer. God knows why they didn't just produce a 1/4" spacer which is what mine appears to have. Maybe it was to do with having a choice depending on the splay of your forks Ron

all good on the conical spacer - picked one up today at Modak Motorcycles , Melbourne for $14 -Aussie pesos...

saved me messing about with washers..etc...

Ron Pier
Mark. Refer back to the parts list drawing I posted. Spacer washers 47 and nut 48 are on top of the speedo drive. Washer 46 sits in a recess inside the speedo drive. Ron

Thanks Ron. So it sits between 46 and 47?

Well yes, but I would say that 46 is really part of the speedo drive as it sits in a recess inside the drive to protect the monkey metal. Ron

Got it. Thanks Ron.

Hi Ron,

Yes your dead right, it's a silly idea having 2 spacers instead of the one. I have 2 so shall see how it goes, when I get around to that job.
I got one of the inside speedo washers from Les last year, mine was missing

Dave

Nieuwe pagina 1