Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Head bearings, replace or upgrade

I fitted the taper roller type to mine and it works just fine after some initial problems of the top clip touching the headstock......What a riding experience that was It felt like either the rear wheel had come loose or a rear puncture When I finally realised what was going on, I lifted the top clip off again and spaced it up with a thin washer. Clearly a warning I ignored about checking that the bottom of the steering stem and the top clip are free of the headstock. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Then again, replacing the original ball bearings and cleaning the races is much easier and requires less periodic adjustment. Sometimes new races are needed depending on the state of wear. Luckily, the WM20's like many older brit bikes can be lubricated through external nipples, unlike newer metric bikes (>1970) which require a complete disassembly of half the machine.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

I agree with that Cas! If only the balls need replacing. Invariably though, the cups are rippled Ron

I use sealed ball bearings which need no adjustment and very infrequent replacement...

Ball bearings were fitted to Norton Commandos and Buells as original equipment (and others probably...)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

AH!! Isn't that what I had from you Ian? Not the timkin type at all. Yes I remember now sealed ball races. Never need grease or adjusting. Ron

That's the ones Ron...Ian

Don't suppose either of you fine gents has the part numbers??
Scott

email (option): larkesr@gmail.com

I didn't record the numbers but Ian was selling them as a kit so maybe he knows, or still has some? Ron

The bearings was a 1 inch x 2 inch Ron, KLNJ 1 - 2rs is the correct reference, Japanese 99R16 or just R16 sealed.
I have some if Ian has not got any, but try Ian first :-)
Regards
Darren

email (option): dwrudd at lineone.net

The bearings have to be modified to fit..I have some that are done if needed....Ian

Hi Ian,

Did you every get around to re writing the fitting instructions for fitting the Head Bearings? Haven't fitted the one's I got off you the other year

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Hello Ian, I would be interested to have it for my bike that has the fork that swings in braking. Could you contact me by email? Thanks in advance. Daniel

email (option): drossi54@hotmail.it

Ian, do you have any of the head stem bearing sets available and will they fit the tele forks?

email (option): mastersignfab@gmaildotcom

Nieuwe pagina 1