Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DIY Wiring Harness - Best Wire Gauge?

Dear All

I will be purchasing a roll of wire soon so when the bike is stripped and repainted I can start to make my own wiring harness as the old one has already given me problems on my first test ride.

Can anyone shed some light on the correct gauge of wire that I should buy. I assume that the same gauge will work for all circuits, After a little research I have come to the conclusion that 12 Gauge would be the preferred size, please advise.

Regards

Stuart

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

Re: DIY Wiring Harness - Best Wire Gauge?

Hello Stuart,

This might help:

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1281171&cmd=show

Ceers,
Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Then there's this http://www.wdbsa.nl/wd-wiring.htm

Lex has just sent me his last spool of rubber covered cable, but I think he has more on order? Ron

M20_535

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes, ordered another 8 rolls!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbiXX.net (think about it!!)

Hi Ron & Lex

The wire looks good but do you know what AWG size it is and are you using that for the whole system or just certain areas.

I have already read the other threads and the link to the technical section but no defined sizes are given other than a lot of should be's

I presume using a wire on the thicker size would be OK and safer than going to thin and having a melting problem, but in doing so will I be getting a drop in power to the relevant areas with the thicker wire

Regards

Stuart

Here's the info on the wire, there's really no other substitutes;

This cable for classic vehicles is rubber insulated cable and has been formulated using modern vulcanising techniques and materials, the cable looks and feel just like the rubber cable originally fitted to pre PVC wire 1950's and earlier machines.

The use of modern materials and manufacturing processes make the cable resistant to petrol, oil, heat and the effect of sunlight so it will not crack or perish during use like the original natural rubber wiring did.

Overall diameter of Cable 4mm. Wire size 55 strands of 0.15mm tinned copper wire, Nominal current rating 12A.(since a lot of people are using it now, including myself, it is more then enough I think.) what is a Nominal current rating of 12A relate to in AWG size?? I think a # 6 or 7. the tinning sure helps!

Hope this helps,

Lex

ps, that link Ron posted, should really be updated, as it's wrong and misleading info, with what we know now, there was never any braided cotton wiring on any brit bikes of the 30's and 40's, both Miller and Lucas used the rubber covered wire, the coloured markers part is right though, my NOS harness has them too, and as far as I know, only one size wire was used throughout.

Dear Lex

Many thanks for the clarification greatly appreciated. Do you know where I can purchase the wire from and how long a roll is? and from experience do you know a rough estimate for the length needed for one bike.

Regards

Stuart

Well, it's for sale on Ebay if you want it by the meter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Classic-Motorcycle-Red-Rubber-Insulated-Wire-Cable-for-Triumph-Norton-/222141598605?hash=item33b8abcb8d:g:DEYAAOSwrklVeDeI&vxp=mtr

but he seems to be out of stock on the black stuff?.

I will only sell it per roll of 20-25 meters, as I have to order 8 rolls at the time, the price per roll is cheaper per meter than the Ebay guy, but have to wait till it comes in, what the exact price will be.

Hope this helps,

Lex

ps, for sheathing use smallest size racing bicycle inner tube, pulled inside out, to get rid of the markings, this is very nice looking! for coloured markers, use heat shrink tubing, works very well!!

As for how much you need, I forgot now, but 5-7 meters I think, Ron will know, he's doing a bike as we speak!

Yes I think 6 meters is plenty but I always waste a lot by laying lengths too long along the frame before the final cut and connect. Ron

For the people too far away,from Lex cable used for solar power installations looks and feels right,Its black and comes in various sizes I use a heavy one battery up to the headlight and a lighter one elsewhere,just abrade the markings with fine paper, As I always have some left over from a 100meter roll when we install panels so I use that , its copperwire and tin plated multi strand perfect for our bikes, solar wiring off the roof to inverter is always DC, so it will carry six or 12 volts easy, and as lex says heat shrink colour coding works brilliantly , better than the stretch on rubber stuff

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Dear Lex

I will probably be interested in a roll when it arrives if you are willing to sell a roll on.

Regards

Stuart

Yes, no probs!

Lex

Dear Lex

Any idea when you will be receiving the shipment,

Regards

Stuart

Probably next week!

I also have the very special connectors, about 2 or 3 needed, don't know what bike you are restoring?

" target="_blank">

Cheers,

Lex

I was lucky enough to have a complete (but degraded) harness on my 16H. I used vinyl cable abraded with 'Scotchbrite' and it looks very similar to rubber. As modern insulation is thinner than the old rubber, I had no concerns about the rating of the cable and wanted to replicate the external diameters of the original installation.

There were two main sizes of cable in the WD16H loom. This is a copy and paste of information that I passed on some time ago.

"Diameters are external including insulation. They give an idea though of where the heavy stuff was used. Diameters are approximate and may be slightly less (0.2mm or so).

The main feature of the loom is the length of rubber tube (bicycle inner tube !) running from inside the headlamp along the frame top tube.

Mine is 950mm long and 15mm diameter. It contains three cables - Battery to Ammeter, switch to tail light and switch to 'A'.

These are all 5mm insulation OD

Ammeter to horn and horn to horn push are also 5mm OD.

Main switch to pilot bulb - 5mm

Dynamo to 'F' and 'D' - 4mm

'E' to earth - 4mm

All the rest seem to be 4mm except that I found a short length with an eyelet on one end (internal headlamp earth maybe ? ) - 3mm OD.

The wiring from the dipswitch was a 3-core multicore with an OD of 9mm. I used standard black round modern 3-core cable. Scuffed with Scotchbrite, it looks fine".

I must have a note somewhere of what I actually used.

Now you tell me!!! hahaha, well no harm doen, found out that the wire I use, copes with it all, and there's no real alternative.

Thanks,

Lex

Dear all

Thanks for the additional information greatly appreciated.

Lex

What are the special wiring connectors for and where are they located on the bike, Mine is a 1943 BSA WM20.

Regards

Stuart

Although they don't appear to be shown in the wiring diagram, there is always a connector at the tail lamp, especially handy for the drop off or hinge up mudguard tail piece.... On an M20 I think there is also one on the main battery lead above the battery.

The connector is covered by a slide over piece of rubber tube. Here's an original on my James ML. Ron
Lightweights_450_2
scan_171003_0001

Hi Lex

Could you put my name on a roll of your wire please. Cheers Barry

email (option): deadhorsesdontgetbackup@hotmail.co.uk

Dear Lex

I have manages to source the wire locally in Hong Kong so I will buy this end instead, it will save on the postage as well, they actually have 108 rolls in stock if you run out in the UK.

Regards

Stuart

Hi Lex

Have also found some in New Zealand and this will save quite a bit on postage.
But would be interested in 4 of the special connectors

Kind Regards Barry

email (option): deadhorsesdontgetbackup@hotmail.co.uk

Hey Lex,

Do you have any of those "special electrical connectors" that you would off load for my 16h???

Cheers,

Ben.

email (option): Benjamincameron75@gmail.com

Ok, I will have a look next week what connectors are left!

No worries,

Lex

Thanks Lex.

Ben.

Ok, got some rolls in!!

Email me please, who wants a roll? welbike@welbike.net

Cheers,

Lex

Hey Lex,

Any luck locating some of those special little electrical connectors for my 16h?

Cheers,

Ben.

Nieuwe pagina 1