Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off topic (unless you have a Triumph clutch fitted...)

I'm having some problems with the clutch plates sticking together if the bike (1951 B33) is left for any length of time...even a week will do it...

Today I had to strip the clutch to separate the 4 outer plates in the assembly which wouldn't free off cleanly even after a ride...That made for a pretty crunchy gearchange!

I'm using a Triumph 4 spring clutch fitted with plates manufactured by L.F. Harris..In fact the whole clutch is from that source...

My Harris Bonnie which still has its original clutch is plagued with the same problem and has to have the clutch plates freed off every morning before use...

I'm aware that this was a feature of Triumphs years ago but I'd like to be rid of the problem....

Can anyone here recommend a source for clutch plates that don't have this annoying feature?...I'm thinking of trying some Italian 'Surflex' plates but thought I'd ask here before buying them to try...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Off topic (unless you have a Triumph clutch fitted...)

Are you using ATF ?

Ian, I've had Trumpets for 30 odd years, and never had one which hasn't needed freeing off before I kick it over. In my T140, I have the thinner ones, which are concentrically narrower (that's the only way I can describe it!), and allow an extra plate be added. They still need freeing off, every time. My wife's '64 T100 is the same. I've heard of chipped teeth on gears if you don't do it.

email (option): oldjunk@btinternet.com

Hi Dean...No, I'm not using ATF...I'm using straight SAE 30...

Have you found that to be better?..Ian.

Hi Ian.
Yes, I have used ATF in my A10s (with Triumph clutches) for years. The plates will still stick a bit if the bike hasn't been used for several months but not if used more frequenly.
The plates on my Bantam do stick, and they have to share the gearbox SAE 30 oil.

Might be worth trying ATF as its a relativey cheap and simple option.

cheers Dean

Thanks Dean..I'll give it a try...Since breaking my ankle I have a strictly limited capacity to kick over bikes without consequences so I could well do without the additional 'freeing off the clutch' ritual ...Ian

Try starting the engine without trying to free the clutch.Then blip the throttle and at the same time pull and release the clutch a few times . Works on my Triumph
( TR6R 1971/72 ). To some extent, that is .

email (option): siamsailing at gmail.com

I guess Ian will know but:As far as i know you cannot put ATF in the primary case of a T140 .
Since 1960s something ( I think ) the engine breather on Triumphs goes from the crankcase through three small holes to the primary case . So effectively the engine and the primary case to some extent share the same oil . I do not think that mixing 20W50 and ATF is a good idea .

email (option): siamsailing at gmail.com

Your right, from about 1967? onwards T120s breath into the primary chaincase...I think all T140s operate that way as well....

I have sourced some lighter oil to try in the primary drive of the BSA but I'm not expecting a big improvement to be honest...

However, I held the clutch lever in with a bungee strap round the lever/handlebars overnight and had no problems at all in the morning.. ..Ian

Ian, you need to develope your Four Spring Clutch Technik. JT

....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1