Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton wd frame or not

Dear All,

Need you (all) help please to identify whether Norton frame with 56911 number is wd frame or not. If not what is the year. Many thanks for your help.

Regards
Rofiq

email (option): rofiqmgl@yahoo.com

Re: Norton wd frame or not

If that is an original Norton frame number in the correct location on the left hand front fuel tank lug then it dates from 1935 or so and cannot be WD.

If the number is on the top tube / head-stock lug under the tank then it is a factory build number.

Can you post a photo with possibly measurements of the front downtube between the lugs ?

Rik
If that is an original Norton frame number in the correct location on the left hand front fuel tank lug then it dates from 1935 or so and cannot be WD.

It certainly can be WD and would be 1942. They did not all have the W prefix.

Cor blimey! That's fighting talk Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Having examined dozens of Norton WD frames, I have not seen any lacking the 'W' where I am convinced that the stamping is original factory.

All Ministry of Supply and War Office documentation include reference to the 'W' prefix as do surviving Norton records. Frames often include a factory job number on the top tube and engines a 'WO' prefix number on the timing chest.

It seems clear that the matching engine and frame numbers were stamped at the point where they were "married up". I've never seen an original-stamps engine without the 'W' either.

Later spare frames were supplied un-numbered and the 'W' was frequently omitted by workshops. For this reason, I referred to original factory stampings.

We can discuss this until the cows come home but the fact remains that as any frame can be stamped with any number over a period of seventy-five years, the only point to the original question is if the stamps are ex-factory and without decent close-up photographs of the frame lugs and stampings, it is impossible to make an informed judgment.

Hi Rik and all

Many thanks for your respond and comment. Here are the picture :

photo IMG-20170919-WA0018_zpsnk4jybwp.jpg

photo IMG-20170919-WA0020_zpsaeam2ora.jpg

photo IMG-20170919-WA0030_zpsy82wgyfy.jpg

Regards
Rofiq

WD frame or not, some serious welding has been done on the bottom of the headstock casting to the down tube. This needs checking out as to how good the repair is.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

[' We can discuss this until the cows come home but the fact remains that as any frame can be stamped with any number over a period of seventy-five years']...

I knew there had to be an explanation for all the new Goldies, Rocket Goldies, Thruxton Velos and Triumph Trophys that are turning up... ..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Is that measurement on the same frame? The sidecar mounting lug hole looks smaller than the other picture? If it is, it's a civvie frame as the WD frame is about 7" and the civvie is about 9"
I was measuring my mates 35 frame at the Norton owners meeting last month. Otherwise it was the same as an early WD frame with up right seat mounts.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

The frame number looks to me like an original stamping and everything fits for a 1935 civilian frame...although after a bit of research, I can say that it seems to have been an interesting one.

Frame 56911 was part of a batch of 30 model 19s finished in grey with 3 gallon tank, folding Kickstart and Crankcase shields. Despatched 25th April 1935 to the United Africa Company, Dakar.

It was clearly destined for 'Colonial' use but whether that was by a government agency in West Africa or a commercial organisation will probably remain a mystery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Africa_Company

That sounds like a fantastic bike, a grey Model 19 with extras. I would have to try and build it back to that now
Correct me if I'm wrong Rik, but wasn't the "Colonial" Norton's given the higher ground-clearance frame? I'm sure I read that somewhere, but that maybe for earlier bikes.

Ah, just answering my own question, a 600cc Model 19 engine wouldn't fit in the higher ground-clearance frame, but a 500cc engine will

The 'Colonial' spec related to the Model 16'C' in the 1920s. It seems to have disappeared with the last of the flat-tankers. There was no 16C in the post-1932 Edgar Franks range.

Yep, a grey Norton with a crankcase shield, a solar topee and breeches...I like the sound of that pose !

Thanks Rik, I thought it might be for earlier bikes
A 1935 Model 19 would have the open valve engine with parallel pushrods, lovely if you can find one

All

Many thanks for your respond and comments. It comes to conclude that the frame is not WD frame.
I am very far away from all you experience about Norton bike. Nice group here..

Regards
Rofiq

Nieuwe pagina 1