Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Loom clip.

Thanks Rik. I think it proves we all need one on our M20's. A job for next time the tank is off. I have two left and out of interest will ask my engineer tomorrow about the possibility and cost of making some.

The risk then is that some onion Johnny arrives on our shores with another big box full of them. That last Frenchy was giving them away with every purchase.....and in the end he was simply just giving them away. I had at least 6 of which 2 had a broken leg and I used one of those on my ML that didn't need the legs. Ron
Lightweights_448

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I really don't know why these clips are so well-known with Nortons and that so many NOS have always turned up. I had a few from the French sellers too...but they weren't even at Netley this year, let alone with WD stuff.

My original harness still had (has !) the original clip on so I knew they were fitted to '39 16Hs.

I wonder if these clips were actually a Lucas item...and if the factories all made their own looms or they were bought in ?

Rob Miller
We can't see enough of the number's to give the frame numbers of the two Australian machines shown above but almost all the 5 digit serials starting "38" are from the British contracts C9310 and C11101.

Oddly this part isn't mentioned in the spares list for C9310, so this could be proof that you can't rely on a spares list.

Its possible that the Australian government ordered a particular specification but as all these machines were initially delivered as part of British contracts and appear to have arrived in Australia with British census numbers to be over painted as in the picture above, and as has been stated above you can't just add one of these clips to a complete machine in 5 minutes perhaps they were used for a longer period?

I don't think I have a copy of the spares list for C5110.

Rob

Rob do you know if/where there is a spares list available for the C11101 bikes?

Mark.

email (option): mfarnay@bigpond.net.au

Rik
Samuel Cormier
I have one of those I was going to use, but wired the bike and forgot to put it on, no way in hell was I going to pull all that wiring out of the headlamp to put it on! :-)

Sam, I can't believe what you've written. I may be about to de-friend you on FB !

These clips were on BSAs back at least as far as those which served with the BEF. I don't really know why the BSA owners aren't aware of them. Perhaps because they were no longer included on looms made in the 1950s and most surviving M20s are post-war bitsas !:-)

Ha!! I figured you'd chime in on that! I told myself last winter I would put it on and didn't get to it. I will this winter though. Drives me insane to take the wiring out of the headlamp as I took great care to do a very neat tidy job all around the switch. But now that the cat is out of the bag, I guess I have to take care of it, especially after the battering I gave Dunkirk! :-)

Sam I'd say it's easier to take the tank off and disconnect the few cables from their individual components (it's only regulator, battery and tail lamp I think). You could even cut the cables under the tank somewhere and do a proper solder connection to them. .......Just don't tell Rik

Thinking about my 16H parts list that calls for 2 clips. I'd have to refer back to it, but I wonder if it's for a dip-switch mounted contract? Ron

Ron, yes, I thought about that too, I think you're right, much easier to disconnect on the other end, especially after doing a neat job in the headlamp.

Hi,

I am actually looking for this clip to put it on my bsa km20. I know Henk has a few, but I was not succesfull in convincing him to sell 1 to me. He is going to use them on his m20 projects.

Anyone who wants to sell 1 clip to me?

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

My engineer is going to give me a price to make a small batch. I'll let you know the price in due course. Ron

Hi Ron,

Wouldn't mind one myself, if that's OK?

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1