Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NOS Pre War Levers purchase, are they original

The problem with using that lever on top of the clutch for the ignition is that it seriously gets in the way of your clutch hand. It's not designed for a friction washer although I've seen it done.

As for the mirror law Can't you just get away with one "token" mirror on the right side? Maybe WD type rectangular mirror and paint it to match the bike. There are always bar end mirrors but they look too modern and hamper your filtering through traffic.

The only bike I can think of that seems to have had a factory fitted mirror was the Indian 741. I have one on mine and also one on my Indian special and must admit it's a joy to have them. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The Hong Kong Government are kill joys. I also have to have a KPH speedo with light, and a larger brake light that functions on both the rear and back breaks. No oil leaks during the MOT. Ohh and no front number plate allowed

One good piece of news is that I don't need to install indicators.

I will look in to just a single mirror I should be able to get away with that.

The good news today I managed to get a rear seat in Hong Kong.

21533711_10155637928602521_1700444813_o

21556841_10155637929142521_685302459_o

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

You're doing well with your finds. That is the earlier long pattern saddle as fitted to M20's and W/NG's etc. Very hard to find and usually quite expensive when you do. You just need the mudguard like piece and fixing lugs.

This is the one off my W/NG after I had it recovered with the added front bump! Ron

20141028_134131

Thanks Ron

If you get time and can take a picture of the bottom plate so I can see the shape that would be great but no hurry, I can then fabricate one by myself. I paid about 90 pounds for it but it was a friends so I just offered him what I thought might be the going rate. The whole bike is becoming a whole series of smaller project that will eventually slot together, great fun.

Just hanging out for a rear mudguard and a headlamp rim but the contact whom sold me the levers might have found them for me he will send some pictures to me on Monday while Im in Singapore on business.

I am just about to post a thread on getting a new line of mudguards manufactured.

Regards

Stuart

Pix sent. Ron

Hi all,

I have been following this thread closely, as I have a set of combo levers for my M20.
I have had them over 20 years, and I think that I got them from Russell's. Mine are a mix and match, brass decompresser and dull chrome choke lever.

Paul mentioned that his had green paint on his, in the other thread Loom Clip, there is a photo of the MP bike with levers that have been painted, and the paint is peeling off. I can't put the photo in as i'm useless..

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

This one Dave? Ron
C4124344_1941_MP_on_BSA_2
upload images to web

Ron Pier
This one Dave? Ron
C4124344_1941_MP_on_BSA_2
upload images to web

Yes Ron
Thanks for posting for me. As you can see the levers have been painted, and peeling off. What does it mean? Painted in service I guess.

Dave

I think so, Dave. Even the bolts on the headlamp brackets have been overpainted so it's certainly not factory finish.

Hi Rik,

Yes, they look awfull, I won't be painting mine.

Dave

Hi Dave, If yours are a mix and match of several finishes, you might consider tinning them. You can do it yourself get the same look as cadmium and it is easy, though, quick and save. Cheers, Michiel

Michiel, you do realise that about 95% of the population wouldn't regard playing around with molten metals as 'safe' ?

Rik,

Does that mean that we are the 5% Michael, that could be an idea about my levers,
thanks.

Dave

I think anyone nutty enough to play around with 75 year old motorcycles has got to be less than 5% of the population!

email (option): mfarnay@bigpond.net.au

Hi Stuart,

I think the 'safest' solution for a mirror would be something like this;

https://www.classicbritishspares.com/products/motorcycle-clamp-on-mirror-8-stem-7-8-handlebars-universal-triumph-bsa-norton

Regards, Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Hi Sven

Yes something like that looks the biz, I have checked and by law I only need one rear mirror so the right hand side it is.

Regards

Stuart

Dear All

The guy I bought the levers off has informed me that he had a full unopened box of 12 sets of levers. He has sold 5 sets to another person and one to me, He still has 6 NOS sets left, If anyone would be interested let me know and I will see if they are still available, by the time there is postage to me and I add a bit on top I would pass them on for 250 pounds a set excluding postage.

Regards

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Could you ask him for a picture of the box please, it may help to date them.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I recently bought this mirror. It looks the part and is very well made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handlebar-End-Mirror-to-Suit-BSA-M21-/331632587615?hash=item4d36d7b35f

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

pm sent, andrew

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Cas
I recently bought this mirror. It looks the part and is very well made.

Nice bike Cas! Is that a civilian Model D?

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

It's an ebay add Jan if you want to ask the seller?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handlebar-End-Mirror-to-Suit-BSA-M21-/331632587615?hash=item4d36d7b35f

Could also be an S or SF but the front wheel looks bigger than 19" to me and of course the ally/stainless front guard is an afterthought. Ron

['but the front wheel looks bigger than 19" to me and of course the ally/stainless front guard is an afterthought.']

Possible 20" front wheel?..Or maybe a 21" with the bike done as a competition bike...that would explain the mudguard as well!..Or maybe he just likes it like that...Ian

P.S...Time for a new thread?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Just checked the other eBay pictures, that's a rare 1939 aluminium cylinder Bullet!

(Sorry Ian, had to add this to this thread I think... )

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1