Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NOS Pre War Levers purchase, are they original

Mark from memory the screws are 5BA (Perhaps John O'Brien can confirm as I took one out and checked the thread for him some months ago)

Mine are stainless but you can buy steel and brass stuff off this excellent guy.

http://www.ba-bolts.co.uk/

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron

5ba is correct

I bought mine off of martyn bratby - he had heaps of them

Br

Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Does anyone have any decent pics of the levers that were used after these. From what I can gather my '42 WM20 had separate levers. I don't think the ones fitted are correct but think the advance/retard and choke are the correct clamp on type.

email (option): meck04@bigpond.com

I have a set of these as well, also brass long levers, they finish is identical to yours. They have green paint on them though! I wasn't sure if they correctly belonged on a WD bike or not, so I'm glad for this thread. I was going to replace my single chrome levers with these for style alone. Anything is better than my chromed levers. Sounds like you got a really good deal on this pair of levers!

Dear Paul

I bought the levers thinking they were pre war but thought they looked a lot more tidy than all the stand alone levers spread around the handlebars. I am glad that there are so many knowledgeable people on the forum to help out in identification and the overall consensus is WD.

I had some of the pieces in my tumbler most of the day yesterday and they have come out very clean and tidy now and will leave them as is showing some age and patina.

Regards

Stuart

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

These levers are pre war(the style that is), used from 32 from memory, the only difference pre war to war time is the plating, chrome versus cadmium

Stuart,

I love your plan, be sure to share some pictures here after you have them installed. I love that brass look.

Best regards,
Paul

Same as Mark asked for above, can someone clarify what is correct for a later war M20, say '43/'44? I was under the impression that these prewar configurations were different than the wartime configurations in more than just the plating.

Thanks in advance,

Keenan

email (option): kakin@centurytel.net

Later war seem to have had standard clamp-on Amal controls but for some reason the early levers remained in production as spare parts with a cheaper finish.

Thanks Rik. Now I am back to considering the prewar levers for my M20. I already have a nice brake lever assembly. Just need the clutch lever assembly.

Wish I could happen upon a great deal like Stuart did!

Keenan

email (option): kakin@centurytel.net

This is a scan from a 1944 parts list showing the standard Amal set up. I actually met a guy in France one year who had set the controls exactly as the drawing The position on the handlebar is about normal (although I would mount the valve lift trigger much closer to the grip) the rotation of the left side levers is just for viewing purposes. Note, the the brake lever is just an upside down clutch lever (same part number). By this period these parts would all be dull plated steel.
Ron

scan_161218_0001
share photo free

Thanks Ron. I'm thinking this is the set up I should have as I have the clamp on type controls. I know the pressed levers are not right and should be solid but thought that the perches may be correct.

20170908 163952

20170908 163944

email (option): meck04@bigpond.com

I don't know, Ron. This is a close-up from those Australian photos. It could be chance but the A/R is positioned at the rear whilst choke is not.

BSA_Australia_1_2
images upload

There seems to be a slight mixture of positions to the adv/rtd lever in the overall picture but they seem to have adopted similar positions as the line drawing. I was helping the bloke I met in France to re-time and tune his bike. The valve lift trigger in that position is the most awkward thing to use and for that reason I would prefer it under-slung near the grip. I assume each rider would adjust the controls to his own comfort position. Ron

I suspect the drawing is done like that so you can see the lever, you wouldn't be able to if it was underneath where you can reach it, this diagram is more to explain the use of the levers than the position.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

That was my thoughts too Rob, as I suggested in my post with the drawing. But the Australian bikes seem to have been delivered like that, but I'm sure they were not meant to be used in that situation.....Unless of course you are cack handed Ron

I saw this picture online and liked the configuration as it leaves the rest of the handle bars uncluttered.

I will be going the long lever approach but Hong Kong law dictates that I have to install mirrors to the bike. has anyone seen a WM20 with drop down handlebar mirrors Café racer style and if so do they look OK? I'm worried regular mirrors will interfere with the long lever.

Im still looking out for the dipswitch and horn buttons to attach to the levers if anyone knows where I can get a set from.

The problem with using that lever on top of the clutch for the ignition is that it seriously gets in the way of your clutch hand. It's not designed for a friction washer although I've seen it done.

As for the mirror law Can't you just get away with one "token" mirror on the right side? Maybe WD type rectangular mirror and paint it to match the bike. There are always bar end mirrors but they look too modern and hamper your filtering through traffic.

The only bike I can think of that seems to have had a factory fitted mirror was the Indian 741. I have one on mine and also one on my Indian special and must admit it's a joy to have them. Ron

The Hong Kong Government are kill joys. I also have to have a KPH speedo with light, and a larger brake light that functions on both the rear and back breaks. No oil leaks during the MOT. Ohh and no front number plate allowed

One good piece of news is that I don't need to install indicators.

I will look in to just a single mirror I should be able to get away with that.

The good news today I managed to get a rear seat in Hong Kong.

21533711_10155637928602521_1700444813_o

21556841_10155637929142521_685302459_o

You're doing well with your finds. That is the earlier long pattern saddle as fitted to M20's and W/NG's etc. Very hard to find and usually quite expensive when you do. You just need the mudguard like piece and fixing lugs.

This is the one off my W/NG after I had it recovered with the added front bump! Ron

20141028_134131

Thanks Ron

If you get time and can take a picture of the bottom plate so I can see the shape that would be great but no hurry, I can then fabricate one by myself. I paid about 90 pounds for it but it was a friends so I just offered him what I thought might be the going rate. The whole bike is becoming a whole series of smaller project that will eventually slot together, great fun.

Just hanging out for a rear mudguard and a headlamp rim but the contact whom sold me the levers might have found them for me he will send some pictures to me on Monday while Im in Singapore on business.

I am just about to post a thread on getting a new line of mudguards manufactured.

Regards

Stuart

Pix sent. Ron

Hi all,

I have been following this thread closely, as I have a set of combo levers for my M20.
I have had them over 20 years, and I think that I got them from Russell's. Mine are a mix and match, brass decompresser and dull chrome choke lever.

Paul mentioned that his had green paint on his, in the other thread Loom Clip, there is a photo of the MP bike with levers that have been painted, and the paint is peeling off. I can't put the photo in as i'm useless..

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

This one Dave? Ron
C4124344_1941_MP_on_BSA_2
upload images to web

Ron Pier
This one Dave? Ron
C4124344_1941_MP_on_BSA_2
upload images to web

Yes Ron
Thanks for posting for me. As you can see the levers have been painted, and peeling off. What does it mean? Painted in service I guess.

Dave

I think so, Dave. Even the bolts on the headlamp brackets have been overpainted so it's certainly not factory finish.

Hi Rik,

Yes, they look awfull, I won't be painting mine.

Dave

Hi Dave, If yours are a mix and match of several finishes, you might consider tinning them. You can do it yourself get the same look as cadmium and it is easy, though, quick and save. Cheers, Michiel

Michiel, you do realise that about 95% of the population wouldn't regard playing around with molten metals as 'safe' ?

Rik,

Does that mean that we are the 5% Michael, that could be an idea about my levers,
thanks.

Dave

I think anyone nutty enough to play around with 75 year old motorcycles has got to be less than 5% of the population!

email (option): mfarnay@bigpond.net.au

Hi Stuart,

I think the 'safest' solution for a mirror would be something like this;

https://www.classicbritishspares.com/products/motorcycle-clamp-on-mirror-8-stem-7-8-handlebars-universal-triumph-bsa-norton

Regards, Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Hi Sven

Yes something like that looks the biz, I have checked and by law I only need one rear mirror so the right hand side it is.

Regards

Stuart

Dear All

The guy I bought the levers off has informed me that he had a full unopened box of 12 sets of levers. He has sold 5 sets to another person and one to me, He still has 6 NOS sets left, If anyone would be interested let me know and I will see if they are still available, by the time there is postage to me and I add a bit on top I would pass them on for 250 pounds a set excluding postage.

Regards

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Could you ask him for a picture of the box please, it may help to date them.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I recently bought this mirror. It looks the part and is very well made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handlebar-End-Mirror-to-Suit-BSA-M21-/331632587615?hash=item4d36d7b35f

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

pm sent, andrew

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Cas
I recently bought this mirror. It looks the part and is very well made.

Nice bike Cas! Is that a civilian Model D?

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

It's an ebay add Jan if you want to ask the seller?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handlebar-End-Mirror-to-Suit-BSA-M21-/331632587615?hash=item4d36d7b35f

Could also be an S or SF but the front wheel looks bigger than 19" to me and of course the ally/stainless front guard is an afterthought. Ron

['but the front wheel looks bigger than 19" to me and of course the ally/stainless front guard is an afterthought.']

Possible 20" front wheel?..Or maybe a 21" with the bike done as a competition bike...that would explain the mudguard as well!..Or maybe he just likes it like that...Ian

P.S...Time for a new thread?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Just checked the other eBay pictures, that's a rare 1939 aluminium cylinder Bullet!

(Sorry Ian, had to add this to this thread I think... )

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1