Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 engine costs

I know this a very generic question but, how much do we think an engine rebuild would cost?
If you real
Experience and could tell me what you had done, I can get a picture on scale of cost vs work.
Need it to in form negotiation on a purchase.
Many thanks in advance.
Scott

email (option): Larkesr@gmail.com

Re: M20 engine costs

Engine rebuild costs will vary enormously depending on the condition of the unit at the outset, how thoroughly you choose to do the job, where you obtain parts from, who you select to carry out any work you can't handle and whether you choose to carry out the remainder yourself...

It's a definite case of 'how long is a piece of string' and therefore it's not possible to make a realistic estimate without much more information...

I spoke to a chap at Netley Marsh last weekend who paid £8000 to have an A10 engine rebuilt and upgraded by SRM....I should think he'd struggle to get any more than that for the completed bike...

Although that's an extreme case it's true to say that if rebuilt FULLY and correctly (including magdynamo and carb)an engine rebuild will represent a fair chunk of the bikes finished value....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, £8k? Wow!!
Agreed you are right regarding the string analogy I was hoping for a few "well I had this done and it cost me £x" type responses.
Trying to guage what's the going rate so I am informed when I go and see this machine.
Scott

email (option): Larkesr@gmail.com

Look at the parts prices.
A new pin & bearing plus the 3 crank bearings is going to pull better than $ 1000 out of your pocket , if you were in OZ
$ 200 for a linner
$ 100 for a piston
$ 40 for a pair of valves
$ 40 for a pair of followers
$ 80 for cam grinding
$ 60 for guides
$ 100 for gaskets & seals
$ 3.25 for a new anti siphon spring

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1