Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RAF Norton.

And this one with a slightly lower number. Ron

RAF_sidecar_2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Steve S
Also it looks like the headlamp is smaller and with the filter fitted it could be a later model I think the later models also had 7/8 inch bars but cant tell by looking at both photos.
I have some original parts from an RAF 16H including the fuel tank still bearing all the wartime paint and RAF roundel but also the handler bars which are 7/8" inch diameter as opposed to the usual 1" bars. The bars I have have the metal sprung clip for rubber mounting as per the SWD Big 4s. The parts came from what had been an auxiliary workshop during in the war in Cheltenham.

Ron Pier has a photo of the handlebars which I sent him by e.mail - the fuel tank is tucked away in the loft and has yet to be photographed.

Rubber mounted 7/8" bars ???? Ron

DSCN2145

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

These do look to have a WD16H bend, but civilian Nortons had 7/8" rubber-mounted bars from 1937 onwards...Could it be a local modification ?

The December 1944 RAF spare parts list for WD16H and sidecar (Up to W96676)still refers to handlebar and 2 x clips which is strange as the WD (Army) lists appear to show 7/8" adjustable bars from W90001).

Interesting to see that CAT A is painted on the top of the sidecar body. JT

I once had a 7/8" pair of bars in the past, with the bracket brazed on, so must have been used on other Nortons, maybe civvy prewar bikes?

Cheers, Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi🤯🤯.net

Nieuwe pagina 1