Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best material for fork bushes

Hi I am going to rebush the forks and wondered if someone here could recommend the best brass/bronze to use, I'm over in the UK for nettley etc and hope to pick up the right stuff when there.
Regards
Grahame

Re: Best material for fork bushes

A basic bushing bronze or equivalent is suitable..The grade I buy is PB1...

I'll be at Netley if you want to pass buy for a chat...Stall number A3...Just ask one of the Mortons staff if you can't locate it...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, I'll check the noggin end chap to see if he has that grade or similar, I can't recall if he goes to Netley but I know he is always at Beaulieu.
And thanks I'll will drop in and have a chat I'm sure I'll be able to find the stall.
Regards Grahame

I use LG 2 ( I think ) for all bushes, wet dry rotating , sliding it really can not be beat and being softer than all of the parts made of unobtanium it wears slowly to save your valuable parts.
The stuff is 85 % Cu and 5% each of Pb,Zn & Sn.
Only thing I don't usually make out of it is valve guides ( although I did make one for the B40 GA which ran for 35 years without problems ).
Because it is only used for bushings you can buy it as a heavy walled tube so less machining and less waste , well scrap metal turnings any way as I can not stand anything being wasted.
Made engine bushes, including timing side A 10, gear box bushes and fork bushes ( sliding not girder ) machines perfectly with standard tooling

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

I have used PB1 and when I could not get it, used LG2. I don't think the material for fork bushes is really that critical as long as you have a good fit and keep them greased.

email (option): pvlietstra@gmail.com

Phos Bronze is nearly twice the hardness of gunmetal

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1