The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Thanks

Hi Ron,

Your welcome I'm glad that someone has got some good use for it. She looks great.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Ron
Nice bike. Lots of others behind it, do you mind me asking if WD bikes are your personal passion?

And a desert air filter on the Velo! I'd have thought ohv Velos would've been snapped up by Home Counties officers!

Ron, I. Cannot imagine that anyone has more British WD bikes than you. As a matter. If interest what is the total now and how many different makes? JT

Quite right Bob I have a passion for the bikes. My theme is British forces WW2.

Factory pictures also show the MAF with the Vokes filter fitted. Only 947 MAF's were supplied before the government cancelled any further machines from Veloce. Before that, there were just 1400 model MAC(WD) which were mostly ordered by the French government. But as Paris fell before they could all be delivered, they were reallocated to other UK units. They might also have been purloined by officers??? I don’t think Velo’s were conducive to front line use, dew probably to the slow build rate and lack of back up spares, I think there were also inconsistencies in build conformities unlike the mass production at the larger manufacturers. Hence it was decided to put Veloce onto other important war work from some point in 1942.

My own MAC was part of the cancelled French order and I’ve learnt through the archivist at the ‘Velo Owners club’ that it was redirected to 565 AA Battery in Oswestry……Making it the only bike in my collection that I actually know what unit it served with. Ron

(PS just saw your post John, I think it's 28....I've got most makes/models apart from some of the most obscure makes)

Collection_055

velocette_maf_02

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron, thanks for the reply. I found some pictures of other military Velos in an old Bruce Main-Smith booklet. It states there that a large section of the French order was sunk en route. A great pity for everyone (including, of course, the poor bastards on the ship) if this were the case.

Yes Bob I've heard the story about 500 MAC's at the bottom of the Channel, but I think it's a myth. I think enough genuine WD MAC's (or MDD's as they were stamped) have survived to prove the theory wrong. I think Paris fell before the bikes were despatched .

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1