The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wet sumping and Crap headlamp beam

Hi Dave

I tried LEDs and they were worse than a filament bulb.

I am going to persevere and play around with moving the bulb backwards a bit more (or maybe forwards!). You could try this on yours to get more focus.

On LEDs at the moment I dare not go any faster than 10mph they are that bad.

Best of luck.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

The H4 LED bulbs sold for modern bikes aren't to bad. But not a lot of use to you with the old style reflector.

The 'beam' or focal length of the lens needs to be set up by moving the bulb holder 'fore and aft' in its holder in the reflector....To do this the bike has to be parked a set distance from a wall and the rim and reflector removed from the lamp...

Next the clamp screw that holds the bulb is slackened and the bulb is moved either forward or backwards in the holder...

Then hold the rim and reflector against the front of the lam and turn it on...The position to provide the best 'beam' must then be found by experimentation and incremental alterations of the bulb position...

It sounds complicated but isn't...It just requires patience..Without a lens the beam is not as effective as it would be with a later lens, however, with a good reflector a reasonable result is achievable.

Unfortunately from memory I can't recall the optimum distance from the wall that is required...I think it was about 20ft. but I'll try to find the info. to confirm that...

If the reflector is dull (ie not having a bright finish like polished nickel) polish it with some silver polish...The finish of the reflector is critical for a good result...If needed I can get them resilvered at a local plater, contact me off forum if you think that's needed (I'm near Plymouth. S.Devon)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian done all the adjustments for focusing the bulb in the holder, I used a seperate power supply and adjusted bulb holder off the bike but still beam is useless. The reflector is a new old stock one and is in good order. Just seems the beam is either a spot or a hollow.I am going to try a different type of bulb and see if thats where the problem is....Dave

Good suggestion a H4 60W/55W halogen bulb will fit into Lucas DU42 reflector the wire retainers which hold the original bulb holder in place will hold a H4 bulb also but the hole in the reflector is larger than the stepped mount on the H4 so will need a adapter making up. I have now fitted a H4 bulb into my lamp and using tie wraps just to keep it into place the fat tag of the H4 was fitted to top of reflector. went for a ride tonight and I can actually see where I was going instead of the damp patch of light using original type bulb & holder.Main beam was brilliant! dip needs a bit of sorting but better than STD .The dynamo shows good charge on ammeter during riding,I have two 6v 4.5ah batteries wired together giving me 9ah & 12 volts and am using a electronic reg/rec. Next step is to raid my mates nylon offcuts and makeup a adapter on lathe to mount H4 into DU reflector and sort out the side lamp bulb holder.As I live in the country I need decent lights but also have to be aware of the charge rate to supply them this I will check properly and get back with my findings .. But so far so good..I believe Paul goff has 6v Halogen H4 bulbs so no problem with 6v system....

Has anyone tried installing a sealed beam car headlamp within the original shell (if you are running 12V)? Otherwise your quest seems a bit optimistic! Eat more carrots? I would not ride my wartime bikes at night anyhow.....bad enough during the day in busy UK with impatient drivers.

I run an H4 65/55 12 volt bulb on my B33 and M33 with no problems with charging. If you are worried about the charging you can get a 45/45 H4 bulb, I run one of these in my Shooting Star due to the lower dynamo speed.

Hi Dave

Both my M20 and WDCO have halogen lamps, I use an old pre-focus reflector which I cut around the bulb holders to make a holder similar in shape to the Du42 type. They fit perfectly under the original DU42 reflector lamp holder wire retainers. With these you can fit the halogen lamps from Paul Goff (main and pilot). I use the 12V 35w and 10w pilot I recall with a 60W dynamo installed. Any higher on the pilot lamps and you melt the bulb holders. 7AH Yuasa battery in one of Ian's battery boxes works really well, inexpensive and I've had one fitted since prior to Normandy 2014 so seem to last. I'm perfectly happy with the lights for night running considering it is a 70 year old bike. I suppose it could be better without the bathroom glass lens. Email me if you want pictures.

Regards

Rick

email (option): rbrouard@guernsey.net

Sorted just make up stepped reducer ring for H4 bulb just got to sort out pilot bulb, think I will fit a led as a day running light.I didnt use nylon for ring but another type of insulation material which has a higher heat resistance, also made a carb spacer from it for my 32 Enfield sloper...I set the H4 bulb for best focus by leaving it loose so I could move back and forward in the reflector while connected to a 12v supply then measured gap and machined spacer to suit.Best of all I dont have to pay over the top prices for 12v bulbs to suit the old Lucas bulb holder and bulbs are easily available from local garage if you ever want a replacement...Ferg you dont know what your.e missing I like riding at night just got to keep a eye out for deer around here some a big buggers dont want to hit one of those...

Nieuwe pagina 1