Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How to find out more history on my WM20......

Thanks Henk. I'm pleased with the info that you supplied earlier in the year.
I met a friend of yours at Beltring called Nick with his WM20 in the RAF living history area. He let me take some measurements of mudguard stays and other brackets. Nice to see people in their early twenties taking such an interest....He and his girlfriend really looked the part in their uniforms.
Best wishes, Jon Sewell

email (option): jonsewell8@hotmail.com

Jon are there no clues on the machine itself ? No brass rebuild plates on toolbox or engine ? No Base Workshop stamps on the crankcases ?

If you can find nothing on the frame number, an equally valid avenue to follow in identifying history relating to the major components is that of the engine number. In fact, the engine number on a restored motorcycle is more obvious and visible than the frame number.

Rik, there were no data plates on my bike. It had been stripped down and a "restoration" started. I think the man then ran out of money and had started selling off parts individually. I rescued it and it is now in one piece and running after buying a lot of missing/sold parts!
The engine does have various small stampings. One such is on the front above where the 2 matching halves numbers are stamped. The number is hard to define....maybe3541600 or 35-1600? The actual engine number is WM20 79787.
The other stamping found is a broad arrow below which is a capital M, below which are 419.
I would be interested if any of these marks mean anything.
Best wishes, Jon

email (option): jonsewell8@hotmail.com

Jon Sewell

The other stamping found is a broad arrow below which is a capital M, below which are 419.
I would be interested if any of these marks mean anything.

Hi Jon,
I think that the markings are inspectors stamps. Their was a thread a year or so about them.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Dave is right. That is an inspectors stamp. Each inspector had his own unique number. Jan has been collating them for his report.

Here is the stamp on my Triumph 3SW and here is the actual inspector at the Excelsior Welbike works. Ron
3SW_007
best image uploading site

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron,
I tried finding that thread about the stamps for Jon, only trouble was, I couldn't remember who started it and I think that it must be about 3 years ago. I searched on Jan's posts but didn't find it.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Dave Boocock
Ron,
I tried finding that thread about the stamps for Jon, only trouble was, I couldn't remember who started it and I think that it must be about 3 years ago. I searched on Jan's posts but didn't find it.

Dave

Here it is...

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

And another case of Photobucket cocking it up for us. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1