Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dyno connection: which way around?

Does it make a difference which wire is connected to which socket on a 1941 WM-20 dyno?

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Re: Dyno connection: which way around?

Yes! The D & F on the dynamo must go to the D & F on the regulator. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron. My dyno has no D or F marks at the sockets. Am I looking in the right place?

By the way, image inserted with https://imgbb.com/ I hope this site keeps running?

Cas they are nearly always marked like this. So as long as the terminals are wire to the standard configuration inside,('F' to the field coil inside the body)you can plug them in accordingly.

M20_497
upload html free

Hi Cas...What's the procedure when using this image posting service to put images on the forum?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian at the bottom of my pictures is an automatic link to free uploading. Give it a try, it's much easier than Photobucket. Choose the HTML code, copy and paste. Ron

Hello Cas.

The left diagram is for "Lucas" regulator,
The other os for "Bosch" type reg.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et231.htm

Good luck,
Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

So if I assume they are the same way around as mine, that would be the most likely correct way? Is there a diagnostic test I can use to either work it out or confirm correct wiring once connected?

The image website is easy to use. once an image is selected, click on "embed codes". From memory I used both "full image" embed codes in HTML and BBcode. It seems very easy to use even for a dinosaur like me.

http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/library/Workshop%20Instructions/Motor%20cycle%20generators%20E3L,%20E3LM,%20E3N,%20Sec%20L-2,%20Pt%20A.pdf

It's easy enough to see how they are connected.

I'm not able to loosen the screw that holds the end cover and don't want to tempt fate by trying more brutal methods. Could I be able to work out which way around they go by looking at the ammeter with the bike running?

No you can't...Loosen/remove the screw that retains the brush cover band (the black steel band that goes round the dynamo...) and the band can be removed without taking off the Bakelite end cover...

You'll then be able to see how it's connected...Under the brush cover band you will find a cork or thick paper gasket which may or may not be attached to the band...That will have to be removed as well...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1