Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dunkirk

I was asked to make some footwear for The Suffragette. I had a disagreement with the costumer who wanted something french from twenty years later. She's well regarded, apparently....

email (option): j@clogmaker.co.uk

The bit that annoyed me most of all was the last scene. The burning Spitfire on the beach. Its a shot of some duration of Tom Hardy looking on as his faithful steed goes up in flames...all I see is a scaffold pole holding the propeller in mid air and no damn engine !!
Rich

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Ah yes the broom handle holding the prop, that annoyed me too, almost as much as a Spitfire running out of petrol 1000' ASL, gliding a couple miles, turning around, shooting down a Stuka that was already on it's dive run, glide another couple miles, get ready to land, bothers trying to lower the gear which of course wont work, hand pumps it down and then lands. Crappy uniforms, modern buildings, modern ships, obnoxious impossibilities, Hispano 109's and on and on. I thought it was an abomination with little attention to detail and quite frankly a crappy attempt to capture the mood, the scope and the scale of such an event. There was very little use of special effects, with today's technology, they could have very convincingly recreated period ships, edited out modern buildings and just made it look as big as it was as an event. I rate it right up there with "The Battle of the Bulge" and "Pearl Harbor" You guessed it, I am not impressed, by hey it's a matter of opinion some may like it, but it sure wasn't for me. I was actually quite bored about 3/4's of the way through.

I have been reading these posts about the new Dunkirk film with interest and I am surprised that many feel qualified to run down a film that they have not seen. The people on this forum look through the eyes that very few people will and we are all historians with a deep interest in the subject. If you want to watch an account that is frame by frame accurate then I suggest you only watch documentaries on Dave or the History Chanel.

I went to see the film and whilst I noticed that the beaches were too empty and the poor shots of the Spitfire with the broom handle etc. I also noticed that there were many younger people in the cinema and also a lot of women who would never have watched a documentary and learned something of the tragedy that befell the BEF at Dunkirk. Many of the people who work for me went to see it including two female members of my team and most had not even heard of Dunkirk before they went. Films need to have drama, excitement and to captivate an audience and several of my team said it was emotionally draining.

Whilst the film was a long way from being 100% accurate it did at least not have the obligatory Americans in it or the overpowering use of CGI that we have seen in films like Pearl Harbor. It managed to capture the essence of what happened and has been the most successful film in the cinemas this summer and has even done well in USA.

In a Country where sadly many people including recent school leavers do not know who Churchill was it managed to give a fair representation and educate a few on the basics of what happened. One of the female members of my team is Spanish and she was enthralled by the film and now learning more about WW2 and the war that her Country did not take part in.

JT

I was disappointed, but my wife was impressed, so there you go. It could have been much better, I thought, with not much extra effort or expense......perhaps better (or any?) technical advisors? Could have been a wartime drama hung on the story of any of the major WW2 events. Ken Branagh does a great stiff upper lip, though......wonder if he has it insured?

Nieuwe pagina 1