Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless tank and very great new museum at QUINEVILLE Normandy

Hello all,
in my holidays in Normandyone week ago, with my little boy ( and as he prefer museums than playing in the sand) we discover a lovely museum at Quineville, one more as i think, we decide to visit it as it rain....
it a private museum,in and old german bunker at 1 meter ( wall tickness) from the Utah beach!! the father of the actual owner start in the 60' to collect all military item as they live in the Orne, and after a little talk about interest on WD motorcycle he told me his father take on original in the 60/70 and he have it on restoration since some years when he have time to do, his son have a RE WD/CO, i'm waiting for pictures of the Matchless and the CO ( not in the museum)
here is just the matchless tank and one of the DR Helmets, for all are going in Normandy, it's a great place to visit, very lot of material German ( with Hyppo trailers) american and british , there is a cushman also complete with trailer, and all a near 60 year of collection could content!!! maybe the best museum of my week!!
and a very sympathic family business.
very interesting are the lettering of the C number, the "splash" of antigas paint delicately applied ( as it not cover the original AMC transfer), and the original sign. the DR helmet also is in a perfect state!!!
Arnaud
DSC00564
DSC00563
DSC00557
DSC00565

email (option): leger-arnaud@wanadoo.fr

Re: Matchless tank and very great new museum at QUINEVILLE Normandy

Hello Arnaud. Pleased that you had a good week with your son. We often take that coast road through Quineville on our way back to the ferry port but it's a few years (probably 20) since I stopped at that museum. Needs a revisit I think.

I've seen pictures of G3's with that style of stencilling and sort of copied it on mine. Here she is Ron

Lou2_IMG_1729
freeimagehosting

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nice picture Ron, bud the giy with the gray hair is onley looking to two major point I think

email (option): Bram@ockhuizen.com

Bram
Nice picture Ron, bud the giy with the gray hair is onley looking to two major point I think

Guy with the grey hair?? I'll have you know, that's Corporal Jones "They don't like it up 'em". Ron

Hi Ron,
always have good time at the Reine Mathilde camp !! , strange Jacques and Isabelle know we are there on the friday, they say me they have news from somewhere in England...
about the museum, yes it need a new visit, the old museum was all sold, and it's a 95% new private collection in it!! with lots of parts to see, not easy to take pics, but incredible collection, maybe the more complete i see since a long time!! it was open since april this year.
there is also a funny part of the museum as the owner is a model maker, there are some lovely 1/6 models ( include a Pacific truck with trailer!!) my son very like them!! a little largest than the ones i make!!
i bought a near complete 1943 DR uniform in perfect state here, as he sold the triples of is collection, and for the price it cost 10 or 15 years ago..... .
i'm in contact with him about motorcycles...
Arnaud

The helmet with '14' and Corps bar belonged to an LAA Regt, Royal Artillery and the Matchless fuel tank to an Infantry Brigade Company RASC. Regrettably, due to the deletion of the formation signs, we'll never know which.

Many thanks for the informations Rik!! i must admit that i'm not ready to paint a C number distorded like that on a freshly painted tank!! same for the antigas paint!!!

Arnaud
Hi Ron,
always have good time at the Reine Mathilde camp !! , strange Jacques and Isabelle know we are there on the friday, they say me they have news from somewhere in England...
Arnaud

Did you meet up with Caroline? She came across a lone war grave in a small church nearby to the camp site. A Spitfire pilot killed in 1941. The two of us have been researching him. I'll place a marker on his grave next June. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1