WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BSA M20 running HOT, HOT, HOT

Hi Carl

Two types of mag fit an M20.

You can distinguish which one you have by looking at where the advance/retard cable enters the mag at the contact breaker points.

Looking at the bike from the nearside (left hand side of the bike), below the dynamo sits the mag. If the adv/ret cable enters the mag at around 10-11 0'clock i.e. on the left hand side of the mag at the contact breakers, then you have a slack wire advance.

This means that to advance the ignition, you push the adv/ret lever away from the handlebars and to retard the ignition you pull the lever towards the handlebars.

This set up is NOT standard and is the reverse of what it says in the manual. This type of mag is a post war mag and my understanding is that these mags were fitted so that if the cable broke (doubt it ever did) the cable would be slack and therefore the ignition advanced so that there was no danger of running the bike retarded.

If the above is not the case then you probably have the proper wartime mag i.e. to advance the ignition you pull the adv/ret lever towards the handlebars and to retard the ignition you push the lever away from the handlebars; a tight wire advance.

The other ways of knowing which type of mag you have is by kick starting the bike.

Pull the adv/ret lever towards the handlebars and kick the bike over. If it kicks back, the ignition will be advanced. If it starts OK without it kicking back, then give the bike a few minutes to warm up a bit and settle down. The engine should now idle on its own. If you push the adv/ret lever away from the handlebars and the idle speed increases, then you have a slack wire advance i.e. a non-standard post war mag.

If what I have said in the above paragraph is the reverse of this, then you probably have the correct wartime mag i.e. a tight wire advance where lever positions are in accordance with the manual.

Whether you have a slack wire or tight wire mag, always check the timing fully advanced.

Regards

Pat

ps Be careful kicking off a bike with advanced ignition. It is best done with the bike on its centre stand and you not sitting on it.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

..I think you know what you're talking about Noam..Ian ...

Thanks Ian.
Coming from you it's a huge compliment...

Cheers,
Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

I add 1 liter of diesel to every tank I re-fuel. Helps to keep the temp. down.

Hi Michael.

I do not add anything but some lead substitute additive when I remember to,
And ride the M20 in heat of 30 Deg' centigrade, and in the city with no issues,
But if adding anything,
Wouldn't it be better to add a bit of a good synthetic 2T oil, say 1% or less,
Instead of Diesel?

This oil was made and engineered to lubricate barrels under working conditions
And high revs of 2T motors...

BR,
Noam.

well i'm afraid it will carbonize and build up on the internals as combustion and compression on these ladies are very low. i would avoid oil.

Hi Michael,

The new synthetic 2T oils are designed to minimise carbon deposits and hardly smoke,
With very good properties of friction reduction under hard conditions.
I use full synthetic "Rapsol" oil for my 2T vespa, and it hardly smokes, if at all,
And after many miles (And even more Kilometers )
The combustion chamber and piston head are almost totally clean.

I am not arguing, of course, as I am not an oil expert.
Just a thought...

Cheers,
Noam.

you are right, of course, regarding those benefits of the new 2 stroke olis available today, but i use diesel in order to reduce the octane, making the engine to run cooler, not for oiling propuse

Forgive my ignorance but I had always thought octane rating had no effect on engine temp as long as the petrol was sufficient. There's a formula online as to how much paraffin one can add and still be ok but I would have thought diesel might add a bit of lubrication as well. I know modern fuel burns hotter. I've got a colder plug than normal in my 16H to stop it pinking up [very] long hills

email (option): j@clogmaker.co.uk

Hello
First i would check oil is returning into the oil tank. Take the oil cap off when its running there should be oil flowing out of the pipe. My advance lever moves about a third, the speed should increase as you advance it.Take the points cover off kick the bike and note the direction then move your advance lever you will see the cam ring moving too and fro.When the ring turns in the same direction as the points turn that is retarding, when they move in the opposite direction that is advancing the timing.
Good luck.

Haddy

email (option): mhadfield35@yahoo.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1