Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Home Made Panniers

Last week I sat down to make my own set of pannier, many thanks to Ron Pier for supplying me with the dimensions as I am still waiting for my newly purchased bike to arrive from the UK so I can start restoration. Not sure if anyone is interested or if I should be posting this in the forum, but I thought I would share the process anyway in case there are a few out there whom would like to try for themselves. The process itself is very straight forward, simple and cheap on materials.

Image 1

First I purchased canvas webbing and copper rivets to attach the leather corners to the back of the panniers. I then worked out the dimensions not forgetting to allow extra for all the seams that are needed for sewing the panels together. For the leather corners I programmed a pattern on Auto-CAD and then I cut them out with the use of a laser cutting machine, this just saved time and made them a lot more accurate.

Hardware 1

After many hours of shopping around without success I might add for the P37 brass hardware that is attached to the ends of the webbing strip. I designed and programmed a pattern on Auto-CAD and cad cam milled the pieces from stock 0.5mm brass sheet. This image shows the flat piece after cutting then the piece folded up and finally riveted together on the end of the webbing.

Hardware 2

First a 1mm wide edge is folded over on both sides in a small vice, this can be bent over by hand and no tools or hammering is needed.

Hardware 3

Next the strip is folded in half, I formed it around a piece of plastic strip I cut to the same width as the webbing. It needed a few tries first before I started folding in the correct place so the holes lined up for the rivets to go through.

Hardware 4

Two holes are punched through the webbing and the end is slid into the brass fitting and the rivets pushed through and hammered using the special tools. This shows both the one inch and two inch brass ends attached to the webbing pieces.

Image 2

I marked out the pattern on the canvas using tailors chalk and cut them out. The two large rectangles shown are both sets of panniers, the smaller rectangles are the sides for one set of panniers. And the 4 webbing fasteners enough for both panniers.

Image 3

I then used thin webbing to sew around what will be the top flap of the pannier shown in image 1. Image 2 shows the centre strap with a length to fold over the top of the carrier frame to attach to the second pannier. Image 3 shows the additional 2 pieces of webbing, all 3 pieces are as you know for protection against wear from the metal frame.

Image 4

This shows both panniers one left with a longer centre strap ready to attach the 2 inch buckle.

Image 5

The long top strap was laid and sewn over the ends of the vertical straps, this piece has extra on each side as in the final process it will be sewn on the inside around the sides and onto the front panel.

Image 6

Rather than cutting 3 separate panels and stitching them together I cut one large rectangular piece of fabric but I still allowed space for two seems to be folded and sewn to produce the bottom panel.

Image 7

The side panels also received their edging around the flaps and diagonal protection at the base.

Image 8

What will be the top edge of the pannier was folded over and a thin piece of webbing was sewn over the seam to make the edge neat.

Image 9

Both the buckles and the straps were attached before the pannier side are attached, as it is easier to maneuver the fabric in the machine.

Image 10

Both side panels are sewn in place at the base

Image 11

The side panels are then sewn to the back panel as shown and then the same treatment will also be given to the front.

Image 12
Image 13

The last 2 images shows one of the completed panniers the edges were also sewn on the outside pinching the pieces together to provide a more robust and durable seam down the long edges. I will attach the leather corners and the bottom clips when my motorcycle arrives in Hong Kong that way I can ensure an exact fit to by bike. I will post the additional images with these attached if people are interested.

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

Re: Home Made Panniers

Totally amazed by this great work done here. Very nice.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Henk

Many thanks greatly appreciated. Just an update the panniers with leather corners when I fit them, and a set of Y straps that I still need to make would have cost a total of 40 pounds sterling or 47 Euros to make. And a full set can be manufactures in one full day from start to finish.

The buckles used for both the panniers and y straps are all WW2 era. I am a WW2 historian in my spare time researching the fighting in Hong Kong. Most weekends I am out and about following in the footsteps of the British, Canadian and Japanese troops. The buckles used were all dug up by myself from foxholes on the tops of the hills where all the conflicts took place, I thought it would be a nice gesture to those whom lost their lives to re use some of the items that I find on the restoration of a WW2 military bike.

A few months ago we unearthed a watch that belonged to a young Canadian soldier, this was returned to his only living relative and the only personal item he possess of his lost relative. The televisions ran a news article on the presentation and can be watched in the link.

http://www.chch.com/soldiers-watch-comes-home/

We have also found two missing American Avenger Bombers that made local news and the dog tags from a British naval soldier that made the news in UK. A lot of what I find is unexploded ordinance so I work very closely with bomb disposal in HK.

Regards

Stuart

very nice job stuart.
i like homemade stuff.
very nice explaine and pictures.

and now?
a new project?

email (option): roy206@hotmail.com

Thanks Roy

The next project is the bike, I used to be a modelmaker by trade so making things from scratch is something I used to do on a daily basis. Im half way through stripping down and servicing a 1939 Smiths Speedometer for the bike at the minute, but when the bike arrives that will be my main project, I will just need to fit it in between my work schedule, I travel to 2 or 3 countries a week with my business so not much time for personal projects, mainly just the weekends.

Hello Stuart,
If you can do stuff like your pannier bags then fixing up an old bike will be a breeze!

email (option): richard177smith@btinternet.com

Hi Stuart,
Could you send the dimensions to me, please? I am also going to make a set. My email is: wdmotorcycles@gmail.com.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Dear Bastiaan

Yes no problem, I am in Beijing at the minute on business so I will send them to you over the weekend. would you also like the Auto-CAD files I drew up for the brass webbing ends and leather corners.

Regards

Stuart

this is a terrific story, thanks for the step by step photos and most of all the history of the buckles and brassware, it is indeed a great thought. i hope you can take us through the rebuild of the M20 itself in the same way, it will be brilliant!!! thank you. peter

Dear Peter

Many thanks and yes I was also planning on setting up a dedicated Facebook page so people could follow the restoration, but I will post detailed descriptions on this site. I am half way through a Smiths Speedo refurbishment at the minute and I will post detailed pictures of the work after the weekend before a trip to the UK. I needed to buy a new speedo as the one on the bike is incorrect and in Hong Kong by law I need one in Kilometers and with a light, I purchased a 1939 140KPH with light, I'm half way through stripping it down, Hopefully it will go back together without any bits left over. I have already sprayed it green and the inside white to help with the light.

Regards

Stuart

thanks - it should be something to look forward to and which should help loads of people. all best for now. peter

Dear Stuart,

I would like to receive the AUTO CAD files also. I spend the last days collecting all the material, luckily I have everything already in stock and can start rightway.

Thank you in advance for sending the files.

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Dear All

Attached are the dimensioned drawings for the panniers. I made them half an inch larger on the depth and width as the seam takes up a small amount and I also allowed that over 70 years the cotton would have shrank a small amount.

Pannier_Dimensions_1

Dear All

I am unable to upload .dwg AutoCAD files to postimage so I have created a download link with wetransfer. The pannier drawing in my last post together with the Auto-CAD files for the brass end tips and leather corners are all included. If anyone needs any additional information please do not hesitate to ask, remember I do not have my pannier frames in hand yet and I made my panniers half an inch over size to allow for shrinkage.

Download link
https://we.tl/GLOO7QqtLv

Regards

Stuart

Dear All

An additional shot showing how the long ends of the 2" wide webbing straps are folded and sewn in place on the inside of the pannier bag. I have folded the front flap inside the bag so you can see strap on both the inside and the back outside together.

Inside

Regards

Stuart

Nieuwe pagina 1