Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Latvia

just back from a jolly in Latvia, the Kurland rally, only mention it because my '42 W/ng was in the company of a couple of foreign bikes, a wartime WLA owned by a youngish Latvian and a 1939 Auto Union 250 twin port 2stroke owned by an Estonian who was accompanied by an early teenage son, the bike went really well and was in sand coloured paint, the rider, on the final day, wore camo suit together with the leather shoulder stapping and belt the buckle of which appeared to be genuine Nazi containing as it did a well polished and prominent Swastica. This symbol is banned in Germany but Estonia? who knows, kind regards
oh as a postscipt Latvia is a bloody long way from the U.K

email (option): woolnough@mchenry.plus.com

Re: Latvia

You could have taken the boat to Latvia, Richard !

Must be a beautifull country, hope to go there one day

I did think about a boat but discarded it, cannot now recall why, however Clive Warrington, think he knows you Ron, from Hampshire rode his preunit thunderbird from his home to Sigulda with wife on the pillion, he took a couple of ferries and the cost, for a bike and 2 was reasonable, and yes the country is very nice, women still look like women and the tattoo craze has not yet become very pronounced although some of the younger service industry gals do have 'em.
the country also has no ethenol in some petrol
at the moment though I cannot stop the leak on he bottom of the float chamber or the coupling to the carb body, I have replaced all fibre washers but I am wondering if there are hard and soft fibre washers, these, bought in a selection box, seem very hard can anyone explain? kind regards

Richard in my experience it's nearly always a flooding float chamber that causes a leak rather than any problem with fibre washers. Either the level is too high or the needle valve is not seating properly. This is often proved once the engine has been running for a while when the leak stops. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

thanks Ron, I have had the whole carb through a sonic cleaner and it didn't leak until the 3rd day of the Latvian rally, I had the thing to bits yesterday and would like to remove the float, however, I cannot get the thing out, is there any knack to this pse? kind regards

Richard on top of the float is the clip that attaches it to the needle. squeeze this together to relieve it from the groove in the needle. On reassembly you will need a small screwdriver/prodger to hold the needle up when you locate the float onto the needle. Just slide it down till it clicks into the groove. If you then turn the bowl upside down and try and blow through the fuel inlet, no air should pass through until you lift the needle off its seat. Ron

Yes I have just done this Ron and the high tec blowy thing, air doesn't escape so I assume the float cut off is O.K,it only seems to leak when there is fuel in the float chamber once this is all gone then it stops, the tap I have just recorked for the 3nd time in a fortnight and this is quite petrol tight gonna try and source some new fibre washer and as someone on the AMC forum I think it was, adds a tad of blue hylomar says it works for him, we shall see. kind regards

There is usually a bleed hole just above the big union nut at the bottom of the carb body. No amount of sealing washers will stop it leaking if the float level is too high, or if you tickle it too high (until it settles to the right level again). There are three different union nuts of various heights for different carb set ups. An M20 for instance has the shortest one. Ron

O.K I have now put the whole shumozzle through my sonic cleaner for about an hour, everything is cleaner than a tanner shining up a sweeps butt! I have lapped in the needle with a little autosol, replaced all fibre washers from a genuine Amal kit I bought, put it all back on, floded the float chamber and it leaks from th unions, no matter how much I tighten seems to continue even with the petrol off and I know the taps do not leak.
So am I doing something wrong here? just crossed my mind that I am not running the engine as it leaks so could it be having flooded the carb the excess is leaking? just seems strange that it should come out of the carb union.I have now turned the petrol off and will leave it to see what happens now. kind regards

Nieuwe pagina 1