Comment
North Africa Photo

Thought this was a good photo...
Richard

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Re: North Africa Photo

That is a brilliant photograph

I find it strange seeing WW2 pictures in colour, things are never the colour you expect them to be and so many things stand out. Look how dark the paint is on the bike. I wonder what year this is? Great picture.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I wonder if this is a colour photo or a coloured photo.

It comes from this website, lots more colour(ed) photos there

Henk

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=174208

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

These look like Life photos and would have been colour from the start.
However we are talking about 1950's colour film so the colours are not necessarily accurate to real life.
Colour would be different depending upon what filters were being used at the time and as these were real life photos and not posed, they would all have been aperature controlled so as not to blurr the image thus most likely pushed or pulled.
Pushing & pulling changes the overall colour shifting it up or down the wavelengths.
Then we get stability problems.
Reds are very hard to photo correctly .
In fact reds are still a problem so brown colours like kakhi can shift dramatically that is one of the reasons for painting stuff in drab, it makes them hard to see and even harder to photograph.
The intense photos with crystal clear focus and deep blue skys were shot using a polarizing filter on the lense which makes them look hard with very sharp definition between objects because in life we see the scattered light coming from the edges which makes them look soft.

The you get the quality of the light itself.
Photos take in England will always be softer than the exact same photo taken in Australia due to the angle that the light comes in from the sun.
To shoot in Australia and make it look like merry old England we fit a UV & IR filter to the camera.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1