Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rear Stand Question

That's how I do it also, and if there's a bystander to hold the handlebar, all the better. (gammy limbs )

But it's probably the old problem of worn pivot holes, which allows the stand to travel further forward than standard. The rear stand pivots are a bit of a weak spot on M20's and will sometimes brake out of the frame completely! I'm always as gentle as I can be when putting the bike on the stand, which I nearly always need for easier starting the engine. But I never stand on the foot pegs for starting, I'm aware of how much strain this puts on the stand and rear frame. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

There is another way: have a look at the Technical Section: "Rear stand modification". Works for me...

Thanks for the advice, I'll check the pivot holes, and possibly look for a donor stand to modify with the lever.

Putting the bike on the stand certainly was easier 15 years ago!

email (option): msawicki@mailer.fsu.edu

It's indeed always a bit tricky to put the bike on the rear stand.
especially when you are aging. The bike easely falls over.

But i would advise never to start a bike on the rear stand, or any other stand.
I puts to much stress on the stand and in the end it might break.

Agreed on starting a bike on the stand, although I've seen people do it, I've never done it and it would feel awkward if I tried.

email (option): msawicki@mailer.fsu.edu

I find it very difficult to kick off the bike whilst sitting on it. The angle just doesn't seem right. Therefore, I have always kicked the bike off with the bike on its rear stand and me not sitting on the bike.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Patrick Meagher
I find it very difficult to kick off the bike whilst sitting on it. The angle just doesn't seem right. Therefore, I have always kicked the bike off with the bike on its rear stand and me not sitting on the bike.

Same for me. Mine is 600cc and with gammy limbs it's a problem to get enough swing if I'm stood astride the bike. I can do it if I have to, but it's much easier stood by the side with the bike on the rear stand Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1