Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
20W50 Mineral Oil

Dear All

I was wondering if there are any modern equivalents on the market to the 20W50 mineral oil that is recommended for use with the WM20. I cannot buy the mineral oil in Hong Kong and the shippers have just refused to put a 1 gallon tin in with my bike when they ship it next week.

Regards

Stuart

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

Re: 20W50 Mineral Oil

I use Morris's Golden Film Classic SAE40 in all my bikes but they do lots of other oil including 20/50. Maybe ask them if there is an outlet in Hong Kong or the nearest shipping facility.

http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

20W50 is not recommended for the WM20. Use a straight 40 or 50 grade mineral oil. There are endless threads on this subject.

If youare on facebook, or know someone who is, look up a guy 'Simon Bollix Vallance', yes that really is his name, he is also in Hong Kong, owns a vitage Sunbeam out there.

the guy who runs this site https://matchlessclueless.com/ is also in HK, but the site seems to have gone a bit quiet

Dear Ken

I know both parties in Hong Kong in fact Simon owns a Bike shop and repairs all the vintage bikes in Hong Kong although there are only a handful out here, My bike will be getting shipped directly to his workshop as I travel to 2 or 3 countries a week I may not be in town when it arrives. The guy with the matchless James left Hong Kong and is now living in Singapore, he has 2 Matchlesses and they have both back in the UK for when he returns.

And Keith my apologies for the question, vintage motorcycles is a new area for me so I need to get up to speed, the gentleman shipping the bike to me recommended the 20W50 and as he sells these bikes for a living I presumed that was the standard without investigating further.

Regards

Stuart

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

A lot of WM20s don't do high mileages or are thrashed, so just make sure it has oil in.

All oils have the same properties once they have leaked out onto the workshop floor.

My personal preference is Universal Tractor Oil as it is relatively cheap and I have lots and lots of it.

The bike will get wrecked far quicker on a lean mixture and poor timing than using the "wrong" oil.

Regards

Pat

ps don't put EP90 in the gearbox it's not good for it.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Hi Patrick,
What are the parameters of this universal tractor oil? Is it multi-grade? Will a diesel engine oil fit our old ladies?
BTW, on every refuel I add 1 liter of Diesel (or Soler, Solar or Solaröl) to the 95 octane we have here in Israel.
Thanks.

Hi Michael

The oil I use is a multigrade 15w/30. It can be used for diesel engines (turbo or non-turbo) and for petrol engines.

It goes in my M20, A10 and Triumph T110 (it also goes in my tractors, telehandler, bachoe loader etc..).

The M20 does the most mileage and seems OK with it.

My M20 dribbles a bit (don't we all when we are getting on a bit!) so the oil is always fresh!

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Don't the HK Harley dealers sell their HD360 20w/50 ?

That is still a mineral oil I believe.

Nieuwe pagina 1