Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Forum Picture

Major John Howard ((Pegasus Bridge), said that he had trained himself before D-Day to take fast cat naps, because once he was in combat he knew that he had to be able to sleep at a moments notice or not get the chance again.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

photo C398064 RMP 155_zpsxg539kbg.jpg

I'd say definitely a pre-war photograph. The machine is in factory trim. Even the MT1130 is still there.

The 'RMP' Middlesex series is listed as having been allocated from May 1939 onwards.

It's an interesting photograph as the fitment of the rather nice large cast disc holder and the local authority registration show that the MT1130 pre-dates September 1939 which is when both of these were discontinued, although the rear lamp is always associated with the 1940 model year, this once again shows that they appeared earlier.

Is his cap badge Royal Artillery ? He appears to be wearing the pre-war denims. If I had to guess, I'd think a Territorial camp during August 1939.

Rik. None of the civilian catalogue pictures show the MT1130 lamp for the 1939 models. But the 1939 models WD M20's and WD C10's did have them. It's my guess that they were only used on military models for 39 for some reason. The lamp was already in existence as Ariel were using them from 38 or 39. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron. Now that you mention it, I see that the MT1130 goes back even to some with '38' census numbers. It was certainly a very stylish lamp but I can't imagine that impressed the Department of Army Contracts. Was it less vulnerable thanks to the central location or was it in fact cheaper to buy-in ? It lacks the major plus point (in my opinion) of the MT110 - the rubber anti-vibration mounting.

And there is a slight chance that he was not asleep at the time but simply caught in a blink, Remember close your eyes, now open them & say cheese.
The photographer would not have known the eyes were closed till the film ( or plate ) was developed.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1