Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BSA Post Office motorcycle?

When did they actually start to paint vehicles red? This is my old mate Ted (middle) in 1939 as a telegraph boy before the war, and before he signed up as a signaller with the Para's later that year. The bikes are C10's in black and green. Royal Enfield also made a V twin 'GPO' outfit (model 155) which was painted in two shades of green. Ron

photo preview_Christmas Cards 0011_zpsfy7ei1ws.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Post Office vehicles were divided into two departments, Postal delivery and Telephones which was mostly engineering but may have included telegram delivery, I'm pretty sure red was in use on postal delivery vans before the war and may even have its roots with the stage coach's of the 19th and 18th century's?. Telephone engineer livery was green pre war but obviously the post war bantams were red.

This is an M20 parcel delivery outfit of the same contract as mine, the paint on the sidecar body is a different colour to the rest of the outfit and I have interpreted it to be gloss red on the box body and matt service colour (KG3)on the bike and chassis.

Rob

photo GLO967_zps72d01f1b.jpg

photo GLO9672_zps4e03cae7.jpg

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Here is the Royal Enfield GPO outfit. Looks like it might be designed for parcel delivery? But of course this is probably early 30's. Ron

photo scan-170620-0001_zpskol5rcuq.jpg

photo 6-3.jpg

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Interesting to see on this last picture/advert, that the box carrier has the initials "ER" and the Kings Crown, which would date it to 1936, as Edward VIII only reigned from Jan to December 1936 before he abdicated.

Well kings crown carried on with George 6th until 1952. I guess Lilibet was also designated with this crown until her coronation in 1953. Ron

That's a lovely photo of a late contract WB30 which I haven't seen before...Any chance of mailing me the best possible copy of it to go in my B30 'archive'?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

That's a lovely photo of a late contract WB30 which I haven't seen before...Any chance of mailing me the best possible copy of it to go in my B30 'archive'?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi, Ian the B30 photo is from a site on Post Office bikes, I took a screen shot of it for my album and the quality was very poor to start with, so may not be able to get a better one.

A 'Real Classic' article about GPO motorcycles.

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/postoffice06080300.html

Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1