Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What carb on a 1940 Matchless G3WO?

My G3WO is currently fitted with an Amal Type 76 with an alloy spacer, which I thought was correct, but looking at my Spares Book for this model it lists a Type 276 (although on this line in the book, it is in a different typeface......added later?). Not much difference between the 76 and 276 I think (?), but as the carb I have rattles and shows signs of bad wear, I might just bite the bullet and buy a new one.....but a 76 or a 276?

email (option): fergusanckorn@icloud.com

Re: What carb on a 1940 Matchless G3WO?

Hi Ferg, I use an Amal 276 on my G3WO. Amal manufacture in small batches so may not have on the shelf but well worth the cost in replacing once your experiencing problems.
Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

I usually buy from Hitchcock's whose service is very good and they have both 76 and 276. Same price. But which is correct/best?

I usually buy from Hitchcock's whose service is very good and they have both 76 and 276. Same price. But which is correct/best?

Ferg,

A type 76 has a 4 hole jet block. And a type 276 had the rear mounted hole in the bell mouth. The 276 was less likely to get blocked and therefore the preferred option.

Kind regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3_at_planet_dot_nl

The VMCC hold all the original Amal build cards and should be able to confirm. I would expect the wartime contracts to have been fitted with the 276 as the 76 drew its pilot air around the mixing chamber body which would negate the fitment of an air filter as required for some theatres.

Amal publications indicate the 276B/1J from 1940 for the G3 but this may have been a retrospective recommendation.

However, AMC reverted to the 76 for post-war production so it may actually be a more efficient instrument if an air filter is not required.

Hi Ferg

I bit the bullet and bought a new carb for my M20.

The difference was huge.

It starts first or second kick every time and runs so much cooler.

After a few runs in the rain it looks just like old!

You just cannot beat a good carb and a good mag.

Just don't tell your wife how much it cost.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

I'll second that...Ian

Thanks, chaps! I will have a closer look at the 76 fitted and see if redemption looks at all feasible. But I agree, trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear can be frustrating. I persevered with the worn out 276 on the WDG3L for years (even trying a worn out 275 at one stage) and only got that fixed last year when I robbed the internals out of a newish stub fitting 276 that belonged to a project Sunbeam that went to a dealer (at a knockdown price, so no guilt felt!). But I learned a lot about carbs on the way, I guess! Main thing is......they wear out. Throw away!

The alternative is let Martyn Bratby have a look at it. He can make them better than new but you'll need a spare if you can't miss the carb for a while.

Nieuwe pagina 1