Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Home Guard unit query...

Can anyone tell me the area covered by the home guard units with a 'WR' shoulder title....?

I suspect it may be Warwickshire...My father was in a reserved occupation but served in two home guard units, one in Yorkshire and one in Coventry.(Warks)..
I already have his cap badge and shoulder titles from Yorkshire and have just come across the other 'WR' badge in amongst some of his old paperwork...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Home Guard unit query...

Here he is early in the war..Taken in the back garden of my grandfathers house at Crosshills near Kieghley...He looks a bit young to repel the Germany Army so it was probably for the best he didn't have to....Ian

photo homeguard.jpg

Hi Ian

WR was West Riding of Yorkshire, the Battalions were numbered 1 to 72.

Do you have the number?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rob..I must have my wires crossed!...I'll have a look to see exactly what I do have already.... ...Ian

Warwickshire was "WAR" 52 Battalions which included "COV" and "BHM" being worn for the Coventry and Birmingham Battalions.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Does he feature in this photo off the web?

Keighley HG

You mention he was in a reserved occupation, by any chance was he employed at ROF Steeton? If so, that had its own HG Unit.

In the early part of the war he was doing his apprenticeship at the Keighley based lathe manufacturers, Ward Haggas and Smith...

He was born in Keighley but had then moved as my Grandfather had a house at High Gate, Cross Hills at that time....

I think he was in the Skipton Home Guard...

He moved to Coventry later in the war and worked at Coventry Tool and Gauge and the aircraft engine arm of Armstrong Siddley Motors...Ian

In that case, is he on here? Skipton Home Guard WR 31 , 32 or 33 all had their HQ at Skipton. But upon enlarging your photo it does (to me) look like his arm badge has a '2' as its first number, the bottom flat looks quite strong? In which case he may well have been with the 27th Keighley Battalion?

Skipton HG

Duncan

No, he's not there...I'll take a look at the original of the photo I've posted to see if it's any clearer...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1