Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fork spring normal!

With the front wheel off the ground the spring touches the bottom of the steering head When lowered to put weight on the wheel the spring moves away about an inch to form a bow in it this looks odd but is perhaps normal Thanks Bryon

Re: Fork spring normal!

Are you talking WM20? Correct that the spring touches the headstock when you jack it up. I put a piece of cardboard there to protect the paint. With the bike lowered, there is about a 1" gap whilst sat with no rider, but the spring should be straight.

The standards book quotes 10" for the free length of the spring. A good indication that the spring is not worn, is that the fork links should be running down hill towards the headlamp. If they are parallel or even worse running uphill, then the spring needs replacing. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Fork spring normal!

Thanks Ron for the input . The bottom links point down the top ones slightly up.I think I shall leave them alone I don't think it is a safety issue. I got the bike in 2004 from a collection in Nottinghamshire he had 3 WM20 at that time Now I am getting it ready for a weeks vintage club ride in south Sask: for Canada*s 150 birthday Now all the work to be done shows up Thanks again Bryon.

Nieuwe pagina 1