Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 struggles a sidecar that wants to pull a side

Dear all,
My M20 is hauling a sidecar. It was built by a local manufacturer who was active back in those days here in Israel. After restoration, I attached the sidecar back to the bike, trying to keep everything straight, more or less. The problem that I have now is a drag to the right while going. She’s pulling to the right as is she is asking to get a rest or a refuel…
I attached it in a straight manner, ie straight bike, parallel to the straight sidecar. Yesterday someone told me that this is wrong, and that I should let the sidecar lean a bit outwards, opposite to the bike.
I would like to know if there is a simple yet correct way of getting everything in line. More I would like to know if I must first take her apart again, looking for an un-straight or un-even frame, a procedure I would really like to avoid for obvious reasons.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Michael with aching arms

email (option): michasteinmann@gmail.com

Re: M20 struggles a sidecar that wants to pull a side

Is it a WD M20 or a later tele/plunger version (they where more or less ment for sidecar use)
Its true that the bike and sidecar should not be parallel, seen from behind.
That should be adjustable.
And the sidecar wheel must be a little in front of the rear wheel - seen from above.

And riding a side car takes some exercise, so i've heard. Take your time to get to know the combination.

Well it is an earlier model, rigid rear and front girder.
Is there any online info one can look at?

For a side outfit to steer correctly you will need the side car wheel to be about 6 inches in front of rear wheel on a ridged framed bike, more on a swinging arm frame. using a straight edge alongside the bike wheels and one alongside the sidecar wheel measuring the distance between them needs to be 1 1/2 inches less at the front to set the toe in. The bike needs to lean out away from the sidecar about 1 inch from the vertical, a bit more if it is a heavy side car. If you get a little handlebar shake at low speed don't worry about it will disappear once moving faster, this is due to lack of trail on the front forks. Tighten the steering damper a little of try to find some sidecar links for the forks. Sorry about the measurements in imperial my brain doesn't always work in metric.

The motorcycle wheels and the sidecar wheel should NOT be parallel. You must have some 'toe in' otherwise the side car is trying to pull the bike to it's side of the road. The heavier the sidecar and load, the more toe in is required. The way to check is, put a plank down the outside of the bike wheels and a plank alongside the sidecar wheel, then measure the toe in (difference) between the two planks at the back and front of the bike.

A small single seater chair will require about 1/2"-1" a heavy chair will need more. For instance a WD Norton Big 4 outfit is supposed to have 2" toe in.

A degree of lean out is also desirable but not completely necessary. It's just to make riding more comfortable on roads with a heavy camber. Ron

Edit! sorry if I repeated anything that Ian said...typing together.

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

To clarify.......at what points do you measure the toe-in? Opposite the motorcycle wheel axles or......?

email (option): fergusanckorn@icloud.com

With the straight edges measure the distance between them behind the rear wheel, then measure the distance between them in front of the front wheel. There should be 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch difference front to back. Sorry I should have made it clearer. Years of fitting sidecars, I forget to state the obvious.

Well that's how I tried to explain it in my post. I've set up 6 outfits over the years, and once drove one that belonged to a friend and wasn't set up correctly which was frightening. Ron.

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hello Mike, I don't know if you have already looked but, google www.draganfly .co.uk
Tap on BSA- shop & info
Tap on Article & Tech Info
Tap on Sidecar Article.
Hope it's of aome use mate.
TTFN Pete.

email (option): petethejeep@hotmail.co.uk

this website might be useful...

http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/vehicles/bmw/sidecar/sidecaradjustment/sidecaradjustment.html

Cas

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Thank you all guys, very helpfull and much appreciated.
As always, this site and the friends here are willing to help.

This a dropbox link to "Sidecar Operators Manual". Hope it helps.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4j3bwc2hx255ns9/Sidecar%20Operators%20Manual.pdf?dl=0

email (option): pvlietstra at gmail.com

Hello Michael.

When you ride a bike with a sidecar,
The sidecar is pulling the bike to the right
(When it is mounted on the right hand side)
And therefore the front of the sidecar should be angled towards
The front wheel of the bike, so the wheel will also be angled the same,
In order to push the bike back in, in order to compensate for that pool.

When I drive my WM20 with a sidecar, I can leave the handlebar,
And continue driving straight as an arrow.

You can ask Danny from "M. Welkovits & sons" at 9 Abulafia st', Tel-Aviv
(בקיצור אל וולקוביץ)
He has a template for the correct angle and I am sure he would be
More than happy to help.
Many times he is only asking for few bears for the labor,
As he likes to work on his old sidecars from time to time...(-:

Cheers,
Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

The next problem is where to get a couple of bears.... :-)

Hahaha...
Sorry. Got me there.
Beers, of couse...

Noam.

of couRse.

Now it was written from the mobile phone.
Too small...

Noam.

Nieuwe pagina 1