Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Small MV Show - Caldicot

Had a great time at this show, fantastic setting in Caldicot Castle and a lovely chilled weekend. Everyone I met were very friendly and great to meet you all. Thanks very much

Here's a few pictures, you can see more on my photobucket link.

The Germans had taken over the castle
 photo IMG_3682_zps0ef7jtnk.jpg

photo IMG_3689_zpsriwkdyvu.jpg

photo IMG_3677_zpsiaw8xuuk.jpg

photo IMG_3638_zpsu9ioy7rt.jpg

More Germans
 photo IMG_3674_zps8mmdvly3.jpg

photo IMG_3688_zpspmm9zm1g.jpg

photo IMG_3669_zpsgofzhift.jpg

photo IMG_3618_zpsdh5x2awj.jpg

photo IMG_3619_zpsm8ppoozi.jpg

More photos here
http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/Horror/library/Caldicot%20Military%20Show%202017?sort=3&page=2

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Horror,
I took my Harley WLA to the show for the weekend, it was brilliant especially considering it was in its first year.
I spoke with you briefly and later spoke with a mutual friend Steve Drewit. He mentioned that you spray a substance over the tank to stop petrol trashing the paint. Could you please tell me what it is and where I could get it from?
Many thanks,
Justin.

Hi Justin, good to meet you.
The paint used to be called Flair Spectrum but it's changed names and is now called Spectra paints. I use the clear Matt on the WD bike and they do a clear gloss which I've used over the transfers on a more modern bike. It's for painting on radio controlled planes etc, that run on nitro fuel.
I get if from Swindon Model Centre and they send it to me. There number is 01793 526 878

Its what I used on mine too Justin.
It gives a matt finish so I dusted the rest of the bike with it to keep overall finish even.
Rich.
http://rcworld.co.uk/acatalog/Spectrum-Spray-Satin-Fuel-Proofer--400ml-FL6509.html

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Just a 'heads up' for a meet next Sunday 14th May of old nails at the Dover Transport Museum, Hellfire Corner, as it was known during the war years, not a crazy lot of war items but will be a few there, so well worth a visit if your doing nowt else. kind regards

email (option): woolnough@mchenry.plus.com

Thank you both for your replies. I shal have to get some. How much do I need to cover a whole bike? Thanks again, Justin.

I think i used half a can , if that !

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

I used 2 pack paint so I used it mainly over the transfers. It's really good stuff, I sprayed it on the tank underneath as a tester and when it had dried I couldn't see where it was, it blended in perfectly.

Thanks again,
So is it completely invisible? Steve thought it gave a certain patina to the finish.
By the way, what colour paint was on your Norton last weekend?
Cheers,
Justin.

It was invisible on my paintwork yes. I mixed the paint myself 2 parts green to 1 part brown, it wasn't quite what I was aiming for but I was limited with the paint I had to play with. I wasn't happy with the colour the paint shop supplied.

I really liked the colour of you bike.
What green and what brown did you use please?
Cheers,
Justin.

The colours were Olive Drad green BS3-298 = (60429), Service Brown BS3-499 = (60478), and I added a bit of Middle Bronze Green BS223. To lighten it a bit. All 2K Matt (2 pack). That's what it says on the tins. 2 litres Olive, 1 litre brown and 1/2 litre bronze green. I was trying to make khaki green no3 but I think the Olive Drab they supplied was too dark, more like NATO green. I think I've ended up with a colour that's more like the Olive Drab I've seen on other bikes....? Who knows

The 2K Matt paint was still too glossy, so I had to spray it all, then when it had dried a bit, turn the gun down and dust over everything again to make it matt. Very time consuming and it worked out very expensive with the hardener. I didn't add any thinners as it was already runny enough. You'll need to get 2K thinners.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend 2K paint although it will stand petrol spills. The people on this forum who do a lot of WD bikes use a synthetic paint that's a lot cheaper and easier to use.

Thanks again for that.
A lot of good information, I'll have to have a serious think about having a go at replicating your paint job as I thought it very authentic. I don't know if I would be able to pull it off as you have though.
Thanks again for answering my queries.
Speak again soon,
Justin.

Small MV Show - Caldicot

We are doing it again this year and it will b a little bigger and in the bank holiday weekend. Hope to see a few of you there, drop an email for the booking forms...Richard

Nieuwe pagina 1