Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: charging problems

I run my bike on a DVR2. If you run your bike negative earth, then you need to have purchased a negative earth voltage regulator (and vice versa).

The DVR2 can be used for 6v or 12v systems, you just connect an extra wire.

I have not had a problem with mine.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Paul

I had the same issue when i first bought my m20. After removing the dynamo, it is easy
to bench test and repair if needed once out of the bike. There are good instructions to be found on the internet about how to polarize the unit and test before reinstalling. I found it best to correct any issues with the dynamo before blaming the regulator. I have a DVR2 unit that works fine after making sure the dynamo is ok.

Dave W

email (option): dwdiak4@gmail

My M21 came with a duff fibreglass/gel battery. I got another the same from Paul Goff which lasted less than two months, total failure, actually it may have been three weeks of sparse use, even though I'd wrapped it in padding. I replaced it with a standard Lucas lead acid which has been fine for several years. Just didn't like the vibes I guess. Again my bike has one of his electronic regulators which has been problem free, though some say the short body dynamo gets hot and lasts less when run at 12 volts. I blew one 32 years ago running an early 12 volt system on my AJS single. Had to come back from Italy with a car battery on the carrier. I've left the M21 at 6 volts. My 16H runs a standard mechanical regulator and a Maplin sealed 4.5 hour battery hidden inside an old hollowed out battery case. That's working really well, with 1945 original wiring. That's when the bike was last rebuilt, excepting the magdyno and kickstart springs.

email (option): j@clogmaker.co.uk

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I've covered them all already!. The dynamo has been checked etc by my auto electrician this week. It's definitely polarised negative earth and charging well on the bench. I bought two DVR2 units, both negative earth, to fit one in both my bikes so when the first one didn't work I tried the other and that didn't work either! I can't try them on the other bike as I've got that one in pieces at the moment.
I've checked continuity through the system and all appears connected and correct so I am mystified. I'll go and check through the wiring again!
If anyone has any further thoughts for what I might have missed give me a shout!
Once again, many thanks.
Paul
PS. The gel battery is fine. It's been on the bike for three years and still operates the lights etc after being stood all winter.

email (option): paul@holmesfamily.ws

Paul another rough check in case it's your ammeter that's not reading. Start the bike on tick over, turn on the headlamp and point it at the wall in a gloomy shed. Now rev it up and watch to see if it gets brighter. Or better still get your auto electrician to check it with his meter. But you won't get a charge showing anyway if you have a knackered battery. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Paul, further to Ron's comments. How do you know that it's not charging ? Have you put a meter across the battery ?

With a fully charged gel battery, it's quite possible that the ammeter will not show charge. They're not all that sensitive and with no lights on, you have absolutely no current draw so the fully charged battery will not be discharging and with a decent regulator, it won't be trying to.

Hi Paul

If the dynamo, battery and ammeter are all working as they should, then I would check the earth connection on the regulator. You cannot (hopefully) have bought two new regulators that don't work.

The reason why I mention the earth connection is that I had a piece of equipment (a Vermeer Stump Grinder) where the battery wasn't charging. I purchased a brand new regulator/rectifier fitted it, but still no charging.

I checked the alternator, lots of output. I checked the battery, it was fine.

I purchased another regulator/rectifier (from a main dealer £80.00 as opposed to a £10.00 from China), fitted it still no charge.

After perhaps a day trying to figure out what was wrong with the wiring, I found that my earth strap had somehow fallen off! I bolted a big thick wire onto the body of the regulator/rectifier and attached it to the frame (I angle ground the paint off the frame to make sure). Hey presto the system was charging again. I even put the Chinese unit back on!

In summary, I guess it must be wiring. Sorry to state the obvious too, but you have switched your voltmeter to DC when checking the charge to the battery. I only mention it as it is on my list of things not to do again!

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Thanks for the further suggestions guys. The ammeter is definitely working as it shows a discharge when I switch the lights on with or without the engine running and the battery has held its charge all winter so no problem there.
I appreciate it won't show much if any charge if the battery is fully charged but it should kick in and balance the lighting load when I switch them on!
I will have to check all connections again as suggested. I've even thought of creating a temporary charging circuit as a jury rig just to confirm that the fault must be in the wiring on the bike.
Many thanks again.
Paul

email (option): paul@holmesfamily.ws

Hello Paul,

I also run a DRV2 regulator for 10 years with no issues at all.
If the ammeter, the dynamo and polarity are all correct,
Did you check the inner wiring of the dynamo?

There are 2 types of connections:"Bosch" and "Lucas".
The difference is basically in the way the field coil is wired,
And it has to be done according to the regulator specs.

Please take a look at the link to see the differences.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et231.htm

Good luck,
Noam.

Side remark:

In the "Lucas" dynamo, you have of course only one field coil,
But the connection is the same as on the link diagrams.

The only difference between the systems is-
One side of the "Field" is connected to the ground in "Lucas" wiring,
And to the "D" brush on "Bosch" system.

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Hi All, Had charging problems on my B31, Turned out to be the fibre gear in the end of the mag (covered in oil and big washer worn out) ok above tickover but not charging on over 1/8 throttle, Worth having a look, Regards, John.

email (option): rustytomm20@hotmail.com

Had big problems with mine. In the end I threw it in the back of the garage. Tried ringing for support but got very little help.

email (option): iancam8@hotmail.co.uk

I have two dvr2 on Ariel and Enfield. I think there could be a problem with gel batteries and the way they draw current. When I tested with old acid battery the amps immediately went up to 4amps. It's strange, it's as if the gel battery has different characteristics and tricks the dvr2 to cut out though it's flat. I checked gel battery and charged it up with trickle charger and it was fine. But there is definitely something unusual the way they behave to the old acid battery. Maybe my gel battery is not compatible with normal regulator. Perhaps the old lead batteries have a stronger draw than gel batteries which the dvr2 could easily detect.

email (option): ashleybremnersinger@gmail.com

Do you have any electrical test equipment at all? Even a cheap China multi meter would be a big help to find the problem. Without one you it's gonna take a lot more work to fix it.

If you have a meter, I can tell you what to check.

Nieuwe pagina 1