Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Kick starting the M20

An old chisel with a groove cut out in the middle is my choice of tool for Triumph an A10 clutches.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

There are also two spring 'weights' for the Triumph clutch...Shorter, heavier rated springs are for the larger Triumph twins...The longer, lighter rated springs are the best for single cylinder applications giving a nice light operation after adjustment...

I run these lighter springs in all the Triumph clutches I fit to BSA singles, including tuned and oversize B33s...They can handle the power quite happily in those applications...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I am giving them a light clean.
Mainly to see how the thick and worn the material pads are.
Then to measure how worn they are.
Is it worth change one if it is below tolerance or replace a set?
They look cheap enough, at Dragonfly.
the plain plates look pretty good so no need to change those.

Ian, the ones on this clutch are the lighter ones, just need to make sure they are still roughly the correct length, will check for wear/ fatigue.

The specs on the technical section are obviously the originally fitted clutch bits.

Paul C

Just got my delivery from Dragonfly, a couple of plain steel plates and a new clutch driving plate. One was pretty low in the pads so replacing it. Also one steel plate was pitted, not at its best so replacing that too.
Do you give the drive plate a coating of oil before fitting or let it pick up oil when it is in the clutch drum?
No details or info on triumph clutch. So flying blind.
Noted the comments and have made a little driver with center missing to tighten up the screws.
Hopefully will work ok.

Then will test out the adjustment.

Now confused
Has anyone the drawings and part list for this clutch.
Is this info correct on Dragonfly website.

https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/bsa/bsa/a710--b3133--c101112--m202133/category/910-4-spring-triumph-type-without-cush-drive

I ordered from the website, only because the plate looked right on the picture ( 10 lugs ) but looking back on the main drawing it seems to be 8 lugs on the clutch drum and plate? Although the steel plain plates are ok?

So what model and clutch do I have on my bike?

photo Old triumph plate_zpswvv72e2s.jpg

The screw do not look right seem to be hand made. Will it matter? Has been working before so should be ok.

photo 18448064_10212473521490596_1201107118_n_zpsbjicudj7.jpg

photo 18470723_10212473521650600_1273009340_n_zpskptupqp3.jpg

Not sure of the detail

This seems to be the one on my bike

https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/bsa/bsa/a710--b3133--c101112--m202133/category/909-4-spring-triumph-type-with-cush-drive

Aloha,

From memory I think there is supposed to be (as someone stated above) two little "pips" in the face of the nuts that engages with the spring and keeps it from unscrewing. Not certain how necessary they are, but maybe...

This is how a Triumph clutch is adjusted, as taken from on my 3-spring clutch on my -69 Bonneville but same concept (i hope and assume):

- Tighten the four nuts that compresses the springs until the screws are approximately leveled with the top of the nuts. Or maybe a little more, to where they stick out a tiny bit (depends on the health of your springs also).
- Slacken the cable more than usual, or disengage entirely.
- Adjust the screw in the center of the domed plate on the clutch so that there is a little play in the rod. This i best checked on the other side of the clutch, where the lever pushes the rod. No slack and the clutch will slip (and wear will take place), to much and the clutch won't work properly. PLEASE NOTE that this particular step might be different on your BSA gear box!!! Probably is now that I think of it. Ian, or someone, please fill in the missing info here.

Now!
Tighten the clutch cable (of course leaving a little slack as you always do on a clutch cable).
- Stand on top of the bike looking down on the clutch.
- Pull the clutch handle in.
- Kick the bike over slowly.
- You will now most likely se that the domed outer side of the clutch does shifts around a bit. Adjust the nuts by "half turns" until it is leveled "around the clock", this part i slightly easier on a three spring than on a four spring.

When you have the bike running you may find three things:
1. The clutch is working perfectly.
- Congratulations!
2. The clutch works good but is a bit hard to pull.
- Release the screws some and repeat adjustments as above.
3. The clutch slips.
- Tighten the screws and repeat adjustments as above.

Hope I got everything right!
Ian and others are more than welcome to chime in and correct me where i may have missed something.
I have done this successfully on my Bonneville but have a single spring clutch and an early B33 gear box on my M21 so don't know the exact details there.

Good luck!

/simon

Nieuwe pagina 1