Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Book review "One Musician's War" Jean Perraton

ISBN 978-1-4456-0404-6

This is the story of a RASC Despatch Rider, George Warner in North Africa, Sicily and Italy in WW2 with a RASC petrol depot.

There are a couple of motorcycle pictures, the one on the cover showing a coloured image of George on a Matchless G3 with no visible number, but it does show the "RASC" and bikes name "SNOWHITE".

The text is compiled long after the war from letters sent home combined with extracts from the wartime unit diary and other sources, so is rather lacking in the detail I was hoping for, but is still a good read and there are several motorcycle bits that were of interest, here are a few of them.

64. "I am still riding the same bike- I think- although most of it has been replaced, even the frame, but the tank is still the same."

107. "I had another bike frame snap underneath me but I was OK- I expect I do too much rough riding."

112. "Do you remember I told you I had my bike pinched some time ago? well I have been exonerated of all blame, so now I expect a new bike pretty soon."

119. " I have just swapped my bike, which was a Matchless, for a Triumph, and the latter bike seems to be very good on the wet greasy roads. I think we are going to have some new Nortons, I used to have a Norton at Benghazi and it was a reliable old bus with plenty of guts therein."

130. "I've had a devil of a time, but it should get easier now as I've got the other bloke with me. I broke the frame of my bike travelling over rough roads so they got him back again. This morning I shall go out to the dump to look for parts."

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1