Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Advice regarding purchasing a speedo

You'd have to be pretty unlucky to find an Enfield speedo with reversed drive so in general almost any 80mph non-illuminated, non-trip chronometric will function.

Will you be expecting to have it reconditioned ? In the UK, most repairers will recondition to the correct spec or effectively exchange as long as you have a reconditionable donor unit.

Rik
You'd have to be pretty unlucky to find an Enfield speedo with reversed drive

Unlucky? Bugger me Rik! Show me where they all are

A chronometric speedo overhaul by David/Phil Woods here in UK is around £70. An exchange unit is about £150. Gawd knows what an outright purchase might be Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

They're rare, Ron but not many people are looking for them. If you only have one old bike (yeah, I know that's difficult to imagine ! ) then it would be a bit of bad luck to end up with the wrong type.

If you picked up a hundred chronometrics, how many would be arse-about-face ? half or one percent ? Probably less.

Does anyone sell restored chronometrics outright ? If they did then you'd have to factor in the price of a non-working unit and the costs of finding it...£70 - £100 ? I'd reckon on about £250 to start with nothing and end up with a restored instrument.

Thanks Rik... so going after a Smiths speedo (80 mph, non illum, non chrono trip) and have it reconditioned is the way to go. Cheers!

email (option): BagnetteAW@me.com

Rik

If you picked up a hundred chronometrics, how many would be arse-about-face ? half or one percent ? Probably less.

I've only ever seen one original A/C speedo Rik and the bloke who sold it to me said, his Dad bought it NOS, something like 25 years ago and never found a use for it. I've seen at least 3 Enfield's with the front wheel reversed so as to run a conventional speedo. So I now have one original on my WD/G (which had it's wheel reversed when I bought the bike) and one that has been reworked by David Woods to reverse the action on my WD/L.

Anthony as long as you find a chronometric speedo that needs an overhaul, it can be reworked into WD trim by one of the speedo guys.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Cheers Ron!

email (option): BagnetteAW@me.com

Nieuwe pagina 1