Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
checking oil tank for leaks (WM20)

I had a massive oil leak develop on my M20 this last weekend. The leak appeared to be from the bottom of the tank. I tried tightening the drain plug to no avail. I pulled the oil tank today to have a look and couldn't find anything going on. There is a lot of loose paint and I could scrape it with a screwdriver and there is no obvious spot I can see that is the cause.

Can anyone recommend a way to check it for leaks?

Re: checking oil tank for leaks (WM20)

Plug the feed pipe and half fill it with petrol/white spirit, which in turn would clean out any crud. I would think it more likely to be one off the flexi pipes. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but if the bike had wet sumped without you knowing and you topped the tank up, then gone for a ride, oil will pour out from the top of the tank.

I guess you would see this though.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

I have a spare original oil tank with its cap if you need one.

Allan Hunter USA
allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Patrick Meagher
Forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but if the bike had wet sumped without you knowing and you topped the tank up, then gone for a ride, oil will pour out from the top of the tank.

I guess you would see this though.

Regards

Pat

If only it were this simple. No, this happened after a 60 mile ride after the oil got good and hot. The bike hadn't wet sumped, and the oil was coming from somewhere near the bottom of the tank. Really is baffling. I'll be filling the tank with fuel and checking in a bit.

Allan Hunter
I have a spare original oil tank with its cap if you need one.

Allan Hunter USA
allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Thanks very much. Hopefully I can fix the one I've got, but I'll keep this in mind.

I know what I'm up against now. I've got a pinhole through the bottom of the tank near the drain plug. I would assume its from a corroded spot. I'll try to weld it up at work this week.

Nieuwe pagina 1