Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pinking !

I use L86C in my side-valves and L82C in the OHV's. I still experiance some pinking from time to time, especially when pulling up a hill without changing down. I wonder if modern fuel is not helping? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron i will try an 86.

Ant

email (option): Antkenmare@gmail.com

Hi Ant

If your engine wasn't pinking before, then your mixture could be too lean or your timing is out.

If the bike ran well in the past, then your carb could be showing signs of wear e.g. warped flange.

The condition of the plug should give you some idea as to the mixture.

My bike started pinking especially fully freighted and up hills. It doesn't now. However, I put in a new piston and rings, put on a brand new carb, fitted a new HT lead, Mag pick up and unsupressed plug cap and de-coked the head.

I think the biggest improvement was the new carb. The bike starts first or second kick, hot or cold and doesn't pink.

The condition of the Mag and the carb seems to make huge differences to "performance" and starting on old bikes.

Try a new plug with the correct gap first, but with my luck the solution tends not to be a 5 minute job!

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Chuck away the plug and fit a Bosch. I've had problems with duff Champions in cars and bikes, and all NGKs are now made in China, 'nuff said. My local chainsaw shop has also switched to Bosch. My 16H also pinked [under duress] on supposedly the correct Champion. No problem with Bosch. Modern fuel burns hotter than proper petrol. There's been loads of web discussion on this in various machinery forums.

email (option): j@clogmaker.co.uk

Hi,
I use the Champion L86C or the obsolete Champion L10 (NOS)
My ignition is correct, I use 95 octane fuel, unleaded, as it is the lowest I can get.
My WDM20 pulls a metal sidecar, I drive it at ambient temp of 30 deg' Cent' sometimes.

The engine is 500cc, 40 thau' oversize, as far as I remember, I rebuilt it few years back.
Composite head gasket I plan to replace to solid, but loo lazy...

I have been using the Champion s.plugs for 10 yeas on the BSA, never heard a pinking
And never had any problems with the plugs, but must admit I never tried "Bosch".

When I used to ride 2 tact motors, years ago, I also felt that the bikes are
"Breathing" better with the champion, and I can pull the gears better,
But these motors used to rev as high as 14-15K-RPM, so not the same story...(-:

Cheers,
Noam.

I've got some sort of Champion in my M21 and it works perfectly. It's just that I've found bosch plugs in my UNO allowed it to pick up from as low as 40mph in 5th which as I don't have 4th gear anymore..... I've also bought brand new duff Champions, straight out the packet. So then I bought NGKs; now causing all sorts of misery to single cylinder engines. They appear to pack up at worryingly low mileages. Last year my local machinery hire shop didn't believe me. A year later they say the only make they don't have problems with is Bosch. Made in Europe.

Well Jeremy, maybe...

My old Champion L10 are made in the UK,
And the L86C, I bereave are USA made.
Nowadays there are many many unauthorized copies from the same place
Where the questionable BSA parts come from maybe this is the reason...

Not related, but interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGDLbdM9nrg

Cheers,
Noam.

I have used Champion plugs for most of the last 47 years with the occasional use of other makes (Bosch/NGK)...

Champions have on the whole been reliable producing two failed plugs over the period of time stated above..I consider that a pretty good result...

I had no Bosch plug failures, but saying that I only used them for a short time...I did have problems with NGK and soon stopped using those...Not only failures but running problems as well...

As is usually the case though I've met people who seem to have had the opposite experience which is hard to rationalise...

Anyway, I'm happy enough to recommend Champion myself....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The one advantage I have found and read about with Champion plugs is that they will operate over a larger heat range then other makes. I have used them for years with good results. If you can find them British made Champions are the best.

Just out of curiosity Jeremy, what's grade/spec of the Bosch plug you use on your WM20 ? Cheers Pete.

email (option): petethejeep@hotmail.co.uk

I don't have an M20, just an M21 which has a Champion in it which I did buy and is working perfectly, though I did recently get a Lodge for it to add to it's period look. My 16H had a Champion D?9 but that pinked loudly under hard load so I got a Bosch. I trawled through the plug charts but there seemed little continuity between them so I went what seemed half a heat range colder. It may well be that had I done the same with Champion it would have worked just as well. For years I swore by NGK, now I swear at them. It's just the same with Stanley Blades. I don't but either theirs or Irwins anymore as they are blunt from new. I buy Jmart ones that are made in Britain and sharp. And Bow saw blades aren't as good as the old scandinavia made one either. they don't cut as fast. Mumble groan mumble.....

Hi Jeremy,

Throw away the bow saw and get a Silky Zubat; finest Japanese steel!

Regards

Pat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCQgkJJz_tI at 7 minutes Patrick

Fascinating Jeremy. I ended up watching the whole series. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Wow!

I wouldn't want to get my fingers in the way of that shear.

You can't beat Japanese steel for keeping an edge.

Regards

Pat

Patrick Meagher
Hi Ant

If your engine wasn't pinking before, then your mixture could be too lean or your timing is out.

If the bike ran well in the past, then your carb could be showing signs of wear e.g. warped flange.

The condition of the plug should give you some idea as to the mixture.

My bike started pinking especially fully freighted and up hills. It doesn't now. However, I put in a new piston and rings, put on a brand new carb, fitted a new HT lead, Mag pick up and unsupressed plug cap and de-coked the head.

I think the biggest improvement was the new carb. The bike starts first or second kick, hot or cold and doesn't pink.

The condition of the Mag and the carb seems to make huge differences to "performance" and starting on old bikes.

Try a new plug with the correct gap first, but with my luck the solution tends not to be a 5 minute job!

Regards

Pat

Solved !!! In the end I had to replace the Mag pick up, timing was slightly out, changed the head gasket and torqued it down properly as instructed on this forum and switched to Shell unleaded instead of Morrisons.

Its really rewarding after all that work to have a bike that feels sorted and bumbles along quite happily now.

Thanks everyone for your feedback

Ant

email (option): antkenmare@gmail.com

Hi Ant

I put a bit of silicone seal around the HT lead where it enters the MAG pick up, just in case any water gets in.

Regards

Pat

Nieuwe pagina 1