Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gearbox re build

As mentioned in a previous post I am having rather infuriating problems withthegearbox of my M 20 as in that it works wonderfully when on the bench but once in the bike and riding it will easily engage 1, neutral and 2 but adamantly refuse to engage 3 and 4 .

I could not get it to work correctly so I stripped the box down completely (again...)
All parts were found to be in very good condition , bearings in excellent nick and bushings a nice fit.

What i did find however was the following :
After removing the cogs ,selecter dogs etc whihc readily slide off the shafts on each shaft remains a large cog which is kept in place by a smaller double cog which is presumably pressed on the shaft. On mainshaft as well as lay shaft there is play between the pressed on double cog and the larger one . On the main shaft play is about 1 mm , on the lay shaft 1,5 - 2 mm .

Questions :
1 Is this play acceptable ?
2 If not: can it be eliminated by simply pressing the double cog further on to the shaft using a (hydraulic)press? Or does the double cog sit against a shoulder on the shaft and is the solution to press the double cog off the shaft,insert shims as required to eliminate the play and press the double cog back on ?

Any advice would be most appreciated !

cheers from sunny Thailand

Maxim Jurgens
Phuket, Thailand.

email (option): siamsailing at gmail dot com

Nieuwe pagina 1