Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dynamo Springs

It could be false memory on my part, but I think I got some from Les at Russel Motors a couple of years ago.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Thanks again guys! As always, you all come to the rescue :-)

As this is my FIRST rebuild of a dynamo, I've carefully put it all back together in the logical way it came apart, *BUT* - the thing is REALLY stiff to rotate by hand... Is this normal, or should it spin freely on it's own shaft/bearings?

I'm not too sure if I've done something wrong, hence my query...??

Final question, are the loading springs absolutely important or could the dynamo work without them?

Ron Pier
British Only Austria? (Mark Upham an Englishman)

http://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/index.php?language=en&site=4&pid=123&id=1401&limit=180

Ron

email (option): fozzie001@hotmail.com

If you slacken the through screws and it goes loose? Your dynamo armature could be baulking on either bearing did you remove/fit new bearings at all. Sometimes a light tap on the end is all that's needed. Without the springs the brushes wont make proper contact with the armature.

You can test it on the bench/vice by motoring it. Start by flashing/polarising it to neg earth. (See Tech section) Put a wire in each of the D and F terminal holes and wind them together, connect them to the pos terminal of a battery and then earth the dynamo body to the neg terminal. If all is well it will turn as a motor in the direction that it would normally be driven in. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron,

I've stripped it all down again, and the only thing that is stiff is the fibre/felt bearing at the narrow end of the commutator. The other end has a brand new bearing which turns freely.. (The commutator is a new replacement as well)
The felt end was boiled in oil, then quenched in cold oil and left to sit for a week before I eventually got back to it. Surplus oil, grease and dirt cleaned off everything and then carefully re-assembled, but it will bearly turn by hand. Slackening the long body screws did nothing to aleviate the tightness either... It all seems to point to the felt bearing??

I've not even thought about the re-magnetisation part yet lol

Question is, should the shaft be stiff to turn or should it spin freely?

As I mentioned before, this is my first foray into this type of a job, so I have no prior experience to fall back on :-/

Thanks
Ian

PS - I've figured out what the springs do now... Just gotta work out how to fit new ones, and thanks also for the link - 2 replacements on order now :-)

Ron Pier
If you slacken the through screws and it goes loose? Your dynamo armature could be baulking on either bearing did you remove/fit new bearings at all. Sometimes a light tap on the end is all that's needed. Without the springs the brushes wont make proper contact with the armature.

You can test it on the bench/vice by motoring it. Start by flashing/polarising it to neg earth. (See Tech section) Put a wire in each of the D and F terminal holes and wind them together, connect them to the pos terminal of a battery and then earth the dynamo body to the neg terminal. If all is well it will turn as a motor in the direction that it would normally be driven in. Ron

email (option): fozzie001@hotmail.com

Well see what happens when you motor it. It should be free to spin and might free up with use? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1