The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Speedo rivet

John D Edwards
Not only was the speedometer bezel secured, but both ends of the speedo drive cable as well; the cable attachment nuts at both ends were captured by a tiny brass chain soldered in place to prevent their removal....

I did wonder about that but can't say I've ever noticed it in pictures. Something else to look for! However I've just fitted an old second hand speedo cable with brass ends to the WC10 that I'm currently restoring which does have such holes drill in both nuts. Which give me a good opportunity to check if my photobucket account is working again. Ron

photo C10 410_zpso52fey1q.jpg
 photo C10 411_zpsdwjkzz5s.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

John D Edwards
Not only was the speedometer bezel secured, but both ends of the speedo drive cable as well; the cable attachment nuts at both ends were captured by a tiny brass chain soldered in place to prevent their removal....

I'd never heard of that, I wonder if you can take a wheel out without removing the speedo cable? maybe it wouldn't matter, you could break the chain and then when you report you've had a puncture it could be replaced?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Ron,

I couldn't help noticing a blister in your paintwork. I am not used to such irregularities from you!!!

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3_at_planet_dot_nl

Duly noted Leon and attended to with some fine W&D and a small touch up brush. The joys of flash photography. Ron

Ron, do the holes drilled in your cable nuts join up so you could pass a thin piece of wire in one and out of the other? I'm wondering if they had a wire and lead seal like you would find on mail bag.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Yes Rob I can easily thread a thin wire through the holes. Which I assume would then have to be attached to some part of the machine and finished with a lead seal.

It still beggars the question, "what if you have to remove the wheel"? Ron

photo C10 413_zps6w0v5ami.jpg

Fascinating. I shall now have to examine thousands of photographs for evidence !

The November 1939 dated KG No.3 Jaeger clock with cable that Jan acquired in France had no rivet and no cable security device (it would be difficult with the Jaeger top fitting tooo) so this must have been a later-war introduction.

My CVC box did have the lock-wire still in place...was that to stop them from stealing electricity ?

Nieuwe pagina 1