Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
KM20 RAF ??

Hi, found some light blue paint on my new KM project, could that be the RAF colour ?

photo SAM_7404_zpsc4clmyzu.jpg

Sadly the framenumber is overstamped but the KM20 prefix not so must be 1939.

Cheers, Michiel

Re: KM20 RAF ??

Its certainly blue, but it could have been painted that colour at any time.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rob,

I looks like the Original paint. very similar to the KG3 you find on early NOS and Original parts: a thin layer, no primer and very tough.

Was wondering if it could be possible that the RAF received these early bikes

It certainly looks like aged RAF blue-grey but I've seen a 'dans son jus' ex-BEF 3SW with that shade underneath other colours too. The 3SW had an RASC census number and was wartime production. I wonder if there were quantities of ex-airforce paint in France in the late 1940s ?

Refinishers at that time certainly had access to caustic dips to completely remove paint finishes and owners were tired of khaki !

There is no suggestion of RAF contracts in the KM ledgers. The Norton books refer to 'Department of Army Contracts' or 'Air Ministry / RAF' but the BSA books, simply 'War Office' which should imply Army. The assembly books also list fuel tank colours so we can see 'Green' or 'Bronze Green' for army (British, Dutch and Irish), Yellow for AA and C/S (Chrome / Silver) for the civilian models. A quick look shows no blue or grey.

Are you able to see anything of the frame number ? Any clues at all?

I think you need to get forensic, does any of the blue paint appear over the removed frame number?

Rob

Sorry!, cleaned up a non-standard part and found traces of the same blue paint, so can't be factory paint.

Excuse me for bothering you, , Michiel

Glad you found the answer Michiel and you've still earned a rivet counters silver star for trying.

Rob

Nieuwe pagina 1