Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BSA WM20 what year, advice please.

Henk, up until the end of 1942, the Chilwell records show daily arrivals so some calculations can be made. I assume that you have the start number for 1942 ? Is 50550 taken from the ledgers ?

They used an odd system, I think based on six working days per week...contract C13290 commenced at 71818 on day 322 of 1942 and by adding together the daily acceptances, I arrive at WM20 73481 before the first 1943 deliveries. These will be a few days out as they were sent by train to Chilwell I believe.

I think that you can safely alter 1942 to 50550 - 73480 but after this it's guesswork as the planned delivery dates don't fit in with each other.

However, they do seem to have been able to produce 2000 per month if necessary and if materials were available.

This list comes from a guy in Australia so the 50550 isn't necessarily taken from the ledgers, not by me as least.

I'll get in to what you and Rob mention and alter the list where I can. New dating certificates available of course when necessary.

Thanks for your input, keep it coming if possible.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I have made a few mchanges to the frame number page. Here a new list with the best I can do with dating a BSA WM20.

Especially during the first war years frame numbers got very mixed up and very early frames could leave the factory much later then you would expect.

Up to WM20 69699 the exact day a BSA left the factory is usually available. After that frame number it's an educated guess made with the help of Rob and Rik. I would love to be proven wrong and I'll be happy to make more changes to the list to improve it.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1