Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Can someone help identify this motorcycle?

Jan, Glendale would be Glendale, California I think - just 17 miles down the road from Montebello where the photos were taken.

I'm quite amazed that these 'factory reconditioned' machines were despatched retaining census numbers. I had assumed that they were put into some semblance of civilian colours.

I think that I've learned something today :-)

Ah, of course! I should have checked Google Maps! I thought it was a village somewhere in the UK... Good spot Rik!

Here's another one "in Army paint" at the East coast:

photo Schermafbeelding 2017-04-07 om 21.59.44.png

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

This is part of the double page photo that shows the Enfield.  photo DSC_0644_zpstirvyjwr.jpg

Thanks Steve! Seems to be a WD/CO indeed, unfortunately too vague to see any details.

Cheers,
Jan

Jan
Rik
I'm sure that Jan (Rewdco on this forum) will be along to give chapter and verse later but he's travelling home from St Vith in the Ardennes this evening.

Yes, here we are!

First of all, what a beautiful photographs! Thanks for sharing!

The WD/CO with census number C5166729 is frame number #24389. This bike was despatched from the Royal Enfield factory on 24/03/1945 to the War Office in Batley, as part of military contract S/1546. Please keep in mind that the War in Europe was almost over by that time, so it is very likely that this bike never saw active service. After the war, it was taken back by the factory who "reconditioned" this bike (together with hundreds of similar late war WD/COs). This "reconditioning" may have been nothing more than some basic maintenance after having been laid up for several months. Anyway, the bike was despatched again on 18/07/1946, to Glendale Motors in Glendale. I can see in that factory ledgers that Glendale Motors bought quite a lot of "reconditioned" motorcycles from this contract.

The immediate post war period was the "export or die" period for Great Britain, and it looks as if Glendale exported at least this bike. I know from my Register that quite a lot of WD/COs from the last contracts ended up in the USA and Canada. (Example: "sister bike" #24341 was for sale on eBay USA in September 2015. This "factory reconditioned" bike was sold by the factory to Rodity in London, on 07/06/1946). These may all have been "brand new" military bikes (still in military colours), sold by the Army at the end of the war.

If you would have any other pictures, please don't hesitate!

@ Steve, any chance of a copy of that Classic Motorcycle photograph?

Cheers,
Jan

You guys are amazing! Great information, thanks.

The only thing I know about the owner is that his first name was Harold and his wife's name was Maude. Yes, Glendale was fairly close to Montebello, CA where I grew up.

I wonder if it would be possible to see the names of people who purchased bikes from Glendale Motors at that time?

Thanks again, Jack

email (option): machuero@gmail.com

Jack Crowe

The only thing I know about the owner is that his first name was Harold and his wife's name was Maude. Yes, Glendale was fairly close to Montebello, CA where I grew up.

I wonder if it would be possible to see the names of people who purchased bikes from Glendale Motors at that time?

Thanks again, Jack

Hello Jack,

These details are not entered in the factory ledgers. You would need to check the dealer's sales books (if these still exist somewhere...)

These bikes may also have been advertised in a local newspaper shortly after the war, just like the one in the post above. Maybe there's a library in your neighborhood that still has old copies? Or the newspaper may have an on line archive? Please let us know if you would find anything!

Regards,
Jan

Warranty on UK sales was the responsibility of the manufacturer and some of them transferred purchaser details over to the ledgers but overseas warranties were taken on by the importer.

It's quite rare to find any sort of surviving paperwork from trading companies or dealers. Presumably they simply retained it for as long as was legally required and this sort of thing never survived retirements and closures.

Does the Licensing Department of the State of California or the local districts have an archive ? It'll mean a lot of work but armed with the frame number and his first intial, it may be possible....

Nieuwe pagina 1