Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
motorcycle related but O/T

Just a 'heads up' Mayday, Monday 1st May Kent & Susex Velo sect/Men of Kent Vmcc hold an informal meet at Hamstreet Village Hall Hamstreet, south of Ashford Kent between 0900 & 1300. many old nails attend I shall take the w/ng,
any marque is welcome even those with a bit on the side, a rep Bugatti often turns up, there will be tea/coffee and a burger if I remember to take 'em, the venue is not far from the iconic Red Lion pub on Romney marsh which has been in the same family since 1911, I appreciate, as this forum is world wide, there will be a limited number of forum users who can make this but any who can will be most welcome. kind regards

email (option): woolnough@mchenry.plus.com

Re: motorcycle related but O/T

Iconic is not good enough a word for the Red Lion; I know it well from years back.
A great little pub, as they used to be. Well worth a visit, too far for me now though.

Is the museum at Brenzett still there?

http://theromneymarsh.net/redlion

Hello Ken, I'm pretty sure that the Brenzett museum is still extant, they used to have a womans land army reunion there every year of which Doris from the red lion was a member, unfortunately we lost Doris jusat about a year ago, it would appear she closed one Sunday afternoon about 2.30, the pub kept the old licensing hours, and didn't reappear for the evening opening, very sad but Kate, the daughter who ran the pub with her continues. kind regards

Thats sad, I first found the Red Lion in the 1970s, Romney Marsh and area was one of my favourite runs. Back then the right hand side of the Pub was the village store and contained the dartboard, so to play darts they open a door behind the chimney a the darts from the bar.

It was much quieter back then and Doris made me and my missus a cheese roll as we could not grub anywhere else one Sunday.

It turned out she was originally from Penge [that thrice blessed part of SE London,] 50 yds from where I was then living.
Her husband drew me a pint of mild, then threw it away saying it was not fit to drink, it's off he said. Have bitter.

Funnily enough the last time I went there about 10/12 yrs ago, the exact same thing happened.
Her daughter is carrying it on in the same vein I'm glad to see.

Connoisseurs of Pub grub should try the Wiltshire version, A bag of salt and vinegar crisps, well crunched up in the bag,drop in a pickled egg, shake, and wash down with ale of choice.
Sit and eat outside in the sun, the house opposite used to be the home of 'Ingoldsby' Barham author of the Ingoldsby Legends.

Great little bit of England as it used to be.

Richard, I will mark on my calendar and hope to meet up with you. I am in Ashford, so a gentle downhill cruise to Ham Street! I took my daughter's in-laws from the US to the Red Lion and to meet Doris a few years back and I think they were kind of bemused! "Cheers" it aint!

email (option): fergusanckorn@icloud.com

Hope to see you there Fer G3, kind regards

just a reminder to the Velo/Vmcc meet mayday 1st May Hamstreet village hall kind regards

Nieuwe pagina 1