Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cylinder base gasket

I used a little bit grease between crankcase and gasket. Was this a smart thing to do

Because I think there is the smoke coming from when the engine is hot. Or will it disappear after a while

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Re: cylinder base gasket

Grease will work OK for the cylinder base gasket...Personally though, I use silicone sealant...

I do use grease on the timing cover as there is an oil hole through the gasket which excess silicone might block..

The smoke is probably the grease burning off that has been squeezed from the joint when the base nuts were tightened. It should stop after the engine has been hot a few times...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The gasket did not stop leaking and and now I noticed that it was soaking in oil and the thickness of the gasket is .015" instead of .007".

John

Hello John.

I always use "Shellac" for the base gasket.
Never had a leak.

Cheers,
Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

john Kater
The gasket did not stop leaking and and now I noticed that it was soaking in oil and the thickness of the gasket is .015" instead of .007".

John

The gasket should be quite a lot thicker than 7 thou!

Hello Keith, This is from my manual, I am afraid it is Dutch

John

photo 2017-06-15 pakking 002.jpg

Noam Z
Hello John.

I always use "Shellac" for the base gasket.
Never had a leak.

Cheers,
Noam.

Thanks Noam, Do I use it together with e paper gasket ?
Anyway I think order a bottle

John

There are two thicknesses of base gaskets...The original brown waxed paper gaskets are the thin ones (I've never measured one but they are probably only .007" or so thick)..

There are also later ones made from a Hallite type material that is substantially thicker...

The same can be said for nearly all the other gaskets as well...Ian

Hi Chaps,
I have two old base gaskets, they are both .008 thick, should I use both of them? Obviously on the same engine, Or source one thicker one. I'll use a thin layer of wellseal between all surfaces in any event.
I look forward to your advise
Thanks
Alwyn

Check for any misalignment between the two crank case halves where the barrel sits...Sometimes if the crankcase joining studs are bent there can be a slight step between the two..If the the alignment is good one gasket with some sealant will work OK...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian,
Regs
Alwyn

Wellseal is shellac based and I have used it successfully for years.

Nieuwe pagina 1