Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LUCAS DYNAMO

Hi guys,
I'm trying to restore a 'spare' Lucas E3HM-LO dynamo for myself (in case my current one conks out)...
I'm doing ok so far, BUT, I think I need to replace the felt (?) bearing (?) on the thin end of the shaft... I think the number is either 200.231 or 189.210
Either way, does anyone know where I can find such a creature? And.. whats the difference in the numbers?
Thanks
Ian

email (option): fozzie001@hotmail.com

Re: LUCAS DYNAMO

Ian, The thin bearing is a sintered bronze bush (part number 200231) - the other part number is for the later ball race type. The dimensions are taken from a Lucas parts manual.

When the bush is fitted to the alloy commutator end bracket it is pressed in to be level with the end and that leaves a small groove that has a very thin felt piece to oil. I have not seen that felt identified as an individual part.

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

It's an 'oilite' bush and will benefit from being soaked in light oil for a day before fitting...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Further to the post above here's the best method...Ian

"Re-oiling: after machining of the bearing, or following oil loss during storage, immerse in high quality mineral oil to ISO VG 60 or ISO VG 150 (SAE30 or SAE40) at 80°C to 100°C for 10 to 15 minutes and then cool in cold oil."

Brilliant!
Thanks guys - I wasn't sure if it was something that needed to be replaced.
I'll just give it a good soaking and leave it at that :-)
thanks once again :-)

Curiosity gets me now though... "IF" it were needing replacing, then what???

email (option): fozzie001@hotmail.com

There's a chap on the internet that sells them...

You can also buy Oilite bar to make them yourself, though it's best to note the correct machining criteria if going down that route...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1