Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Anybody looking for an 8" or 6" Lucas headlamp glass?

Ken, I am indeed in Dutch-speaking Belgium, although it's complicated as Limburg is not really Flanders and was always part of the Prince-Bishopric of Liège so they're not truly 'Flemish' here and I work in the French-speaking part anyway.

French sellers seem fine face to face but there is a significant sub-culture that puts stuff on-line to find out the price and then doesn't really want to sell it and they seem to like renegotiating after a sale has been agreed. Perhaps I've just been unlucky.

I made the mistake of speaking french at a small jumble in Belgium once,looking for FN parts, lots of shaking heads,till one guy looking over my shoulder saw my list written in English, total about face and very helpful from then on. It's difficlt for us Brits to discern where the line is, walking on eggshells.

That habit of asking a price and then wanting to renegotiate is common over here especially in rural parts. I had bikes offered at a price, agreed without haggling, only to be told I agreed too fast so it must be worth more.

I once found in a old nissan hut a fold flat Dodge truck that looked as if it had been driven in straight from WW2 service, markings,all the kit. Lovely nick even for back in the 1970s.

I got a price out of the old bloke, thought about it, then he said plus VAT [he wasn't vat reg anyway] even at that I thought Ok, , No he said it must be too cheap; stick it up your arse then I said.

That was 20acres of old kit called the Machinery Depot near Sissisinghurst in Kent,any one here remember it?

I think that you've nailed it there, Ken, I go after obscure stuff and offer the asking price which makes the old buggers suspicious ! Next time, I'll haggle (I'm not much good at it though).

Just while we were on the subject....

Is it frosted side out..or frosted side in.......

email (option): jmmycmullen@aol.com

Well I always put the smooth side out. It makes it easier to remove the dead fly's that get squished at 75mph. Be interesting to know what others think. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Smooth side out, that's where the Lucas logo is.

Hey Ian. Is that why some of my bikes have the much rarer asufiD sacuL glass

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Oh Wow! you'll get loads of money for that on ebay. It returns most of the light back into the headlight. Hence the title Prince of Darkness.

Wow, that is the ones made in Constantinople

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Ron Pier
Well I always put the smooth side out. It makes it easier to remove the dead fly's that get squished at 75mph. Ron

I like yer style Ron.....

email (option): jmmycmullen@aol.com

Nieuwe pagina 1