Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Normandy 2019 Tour.

Some very valid points made by Horror and Rik. Especially the one about pre booking. It is good to have an up front over view of participants. But 'Guinness World Records' were only really interested in the final number who started and completed the distance, backed up by the video footage and the statements submitted by the officially recognised marshals at the start and finish. On the 65th and 70th runs each participant signed a form before the start of the run to confirm year/make/model of his bike. GWR also agreed with me that they didn't require registration numbers after I pointed out that they were from all different countries and didn't have any significance to the event.

Whilst on the subject of the previous runs. The 65th route was ideal and Ian was able to publish it before hand which was really helpful. That route was closed to us for the 70th because the town of Arrowmanches was closed off, so I had to find another route. Which I think most will agree was still quite ideal, but unfortunately for various reasons I couldn't publish it. Coupled with trying to communicate with about 250 people on the day, milling about and spread out over large areas led to some failure in communication.

I don't think I ever thanked Horror and Wendy properly for becoming my unquestioning gofers.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

We were typing together there Ian. I'm not aware of any tour being organised. But I'm kind of helping the owners at the campsite to organise the bookings for camping. In that respect we could all be together at least......Without a leader until someone volunteers Ron

['That route was closed to us for the 70th because the town of Arromanches was closed off...']...

A good reason to contact the mayors office in Arromanches to gain permission to access the town on D Day, as that would open up the possibility of rerunning the 65th route..They were very helpful on the 65th.

I've heard an as yet unsubstantiated rumour that Arromanches will be closed off on the 75th. unless prior arrangements are made for entry, due to the terror threat...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The problem is, as I was informed by Adrian Cox. On these big years when Royals and very high ranking dignitaries are present, security is at its highest and the Mayor is sort of relieved of his duties and Paris takes over. Personally I would not want to risk organising an event that might rely on the say so of an uninformed Gendarme with a machine gun......We have met them and there's no arguing!! Ron

Ron Pier

I don't think I ever thanked Horror and Wendy properly for becoming my unquestioning gofers.

Ron

That's no problem Ron, you had enough on your plate and we're starting to get a bit ginger with people

I was at the back of the pack to start with and watched cars overtake on the long straight without looking for a gap in the bikes, they just forced there way in. Difficult to stop them on a fast road maybe a twisty road would stop them overtaking. I wasn't on the 65th run but seeing how security minded the police were about getting to the D-Day events in the town on the 70th I'd be suprised if 200 plus bike would be allowed to ride anywhere near.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi All

Yes we are looking to 2019 & as we are in Normandy again this June It seems a good place & time to look at how & where we can make another attempt at the record

To make the event as smooth as possible - we are looking at an online registration format with no paper or as Ron pointed out no spreadsheets all of which had to be manually entered & managed

We have the support of an organisation to help us achieve this & once we outline what we need to them to make it happen we can put this in place & online

Once this is done of course we will let all know

Lots of things noted & to implement for the on the day stuff - so the comments here are welcome

Best regards

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

['We have the support of an organisation to help us achieve this & once we outline what we need to them to make it happen we can put this in place & online'..]

Who might that be John?...

Will there be a 'tour' based at one site (Etreham?) as previously or will it just be the record run this time?...Ian

I can discuss when I see you Ian

It's a bit early to say just now

Job

Hopefully nothing to do with 'Liberation Task Force' I refuse to comply with or have anything to do his antics Ron

Hi Ron

No idea who this is

I would ask you to hold on until all is in place - its all good

Please dont speculate at this time

Best regards

John

Ron Pier
Hopefully nothing to do with 'Liberation Task Force' I refuse to comply with or have anything to do his antics Ron

Are you meaning Dave King, Ron? If so I think you will find that all ties between him and LTF have been cut, or so I am led to believe. So in my mind LTF as an event organiser have a better bill of health and credibility than when he was with them

I agree with Ron...LTF are a waste of space and have an ulterior agenda IMO...I'll have nothing to do with them...Ian

Think i will turn up on the day and get counted past the post and cut out all the crap that has already started and we are still two years away

Yeh, right on, no need to make it easy and go along with wishes of the people who are taking the trouble to organise it all... ...Ian

I knew that would be a red rag to a bull but we don't need all that computer crap we had last time i will do what ever it takes but lets make it simple for the organisers sake

There is a large amount of data that HAS to be recorded both for the requirements of the Guiness organisation to enable and verify the record run and also for any 'tour' that may take place...

Unsurprisingly a spread sheet or similar is the best way to collate and organise that....A computer is also the only practical way to distribute relevant information and coordinate the activities of participants who are based in many countries...

When I did the 65th. I realised that I would have to get a computer, which I previously didn't have, just to make the whole thing feasible...

Nobody likes complication..particularly if they are the organisers of such an event and I'm sure the process will be no more involved than is necessary for the task...

From personal experience I can tell you that one complication that isn't welcome is people turning up unannounced 'on the day' and adding to the workload when there are already many other things to deal with....

If you want to help the organisers and make it 'simple' for them then offer to help in some capacity...don't hinder them by not bothering to comply with the stated requirements yet still turn up expecting to be included...

Shame it's so easy to be critical but so difficult to actually contribute something meaningful...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1