Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless G3L (Oil Leak from Engine Sprocket)

Hello, I started my 1941 Matchless G3L today after almost a week and I see that there is oil leaking from behind the engine sprocket (As shown in the pic). The spacer is in place and is a tight fit. There is absolutely no oil from the breather. What might be wrong here. Expert help required

photo IMG_0982_zpsthzlw1gi.jpg

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

Re: Matchless G3L (Oil Leak from Engine Sprocket)

Oil running through the main bearings into the primary case is often caused by oil draining from the oil tank into the crankcase (wet sumping). Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron,
Thanks a lot. I presume that I don't have to worry much about this? I was hoping that there is some block in the breather so oil is finding its way out through this.

Pratap Henry

Good idea to check the breather Pratap. A piece of small hose pushed onto the breather pipe and you should be able to suck air through it but not blow back.....If the valve is working correctly......Don't blame me if you get a mouthful of oil. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I tried doing as mentioned and this is what exactly happened. I was able to suck air freely however when I tried to blow there is some resistance however I am still able to blow air. Is this how the breather is designed or should it be air tight when air is blown thorough this.
Please advice

Nieuwe pagina 1