Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Amal 276 Right or left?

Orientation is up to you but BSA placed them on the outside (maybe to avoid fuel dripping on the mag but it does rather expose them to rain).

The crucial aspects are that you need a 0° bowl - for a horizontal carb and it should have a bottom fitting banjo feed (there are also top feeds and bottom feeds that simply take a screw on nipple)

Just as an aside Rik. Where do you find that 'Degree' symbol on a key board. I've never found it and have to write the word Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for the help,

A friend of mine who has a 3HW has a 276 bowl which can't be turned to the right, now I understand that he may not have that 0º bowl (the º symbol in spanish keyboards is at the left of number 1 ;) ).

Checking the amal web I found that: Note: The float chamber was originally mounting on the same side as the mixture screws, however to allow us to set and test the carburettors correctly we fit them on the opposite side.

I've asked them if the bowl can be turned to the other side, if the answer is YES, I'll order it (unless anyone tells me a cheaper place to buy it).

The only problem is that they only have in stock the bottom feed with nipple. Which is the difference with the banjo one? Can the connection be changed?

Thanks,
Albert

email (option): albertpascualp@iqs.edu

Unfortunately you can't change the fitting as it's moulded in at the casting stage. Although Martyn Bratby does machine them out and fit a replacement when the needle valve seat is worn. No doubt he could probably supply you with a refurbed float bowl a lot cheaper than Amal (who do not keep proper stocks of their own products). Unfortunately, Martyn does not use internet, but I can supply his phone number if you want it, or I will probably see him on 11th March. Or you could look at Hitchcocks who sell genuine Amal spares. http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbooks/pages/4769/AMAL_Pre-monobloc_Type_276

Don't seem to have that degree symbol Ron

PS lots of OHV engines have a carb fitted which is sloping, hence the angled banjos at the bottom of the float bowl. A float bowl can be fitted either side of these as long as the correct bowl is acquired. But usually they're on the left side. The WD SV Triumphs also had the bowl on the right side.

Thanks Ron,

If the foat bowl fitting can't be changed, I'll contact Hitchcock's to see if they have one in stock.

What do they mean with flange and spigot fitting? On Hitchcock's website, there are these two:

- AM/276/16/FR CARBURETTOR, PRE MONOBLOC, 1'' FLANGE FITTING R/H ADJUSTERS (WITH FLOAT BOWL)
- AM/276/16/SR CARBURETTOR, PRE MONOBLOC, 1'' SPIGOT FITTING R/H ADJUSTERS (WITH FLOAT BOWL)

I assume that Hitchcocks will send me the carb with the proper jets (on the amal web they say it is 170 main and 106 needle), are those carbs "plug and play", or do I have to adjust them before? You can see I have no idea about carbs...

Thanks once again

Spigot fixing is like this on my Norton 16H. It's basically just a spout.

Hitchcocks have a collection of genuine Amal parts and will build you a carb from the necessary parts once you have given them the details of your bike. I have learnt from experience that it might be loosely assembled. In other words, spend a few minutes check tightening the needle and main jet and the bottom union nut (easiest once fitted to the bike). Also check that they have put the needle in the correct groove.

To start with, turn the Idle screw (horizontal screw) gently home, then 1 1/2 turns out. This is near enough for start up. Once the engine is warm, just follow the procedure in the hand book by small adjustments to the two screws, which is best done with the ignition retarded about 1/3rd. Ron

PS. I would also indicate to Hitchcocks that you want the banjo type fitting and the banjo if you don't already have it. If there is any Query you can ask them to contact me if you want.

photo 16H 139_zpstpfgxvbp.jpg

Thanks Ron, great example!

I've e-mailed Hitchcocks asking for the banjo connection, and they have everything in stock, so I should have the new carb soon.

Thanks for all.

Nieuwe pagina 1