Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ignition advance & what goes on the rack ?

Hi All

Well my M20 arrived and after I had figured out which way the ignition advance worked I have found it easy to live with.

Quick question should I set the ignition advance back to the standard setting as soon as the bike fires up or do you do it in stages as the bike warms up ?

On a completely different track my bike has the early small rack on it. Does anyone have any photos etc of how this was used ? Would be good to get some type of authentic load out on it.

Cheers

Ant

email (option): antkenmare@gmail.com

Re: Ignition advance & what goes on the rack ?

Usually it's best to retard the ignition by about 1/3-1/2 of the lever movement for starting the bike. Then return it to the full advance position for normal riding. Experience will then give an indication when to retard the ignition a bit when pulling up hills.

I think Henk has good pictures of those early bikes during a kit inspection parade. I can never look at them as they have metal security chains that will rattle against the paintwork.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I have just sent you the photo that Ron mentioned, not a BSA but that wouldn't matter for that kit. Looks pretty nice, I made myself such a kit.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Oh Ron, You Tart !

It's meant to happen :-)

This is a scruffy effort using a couple of large pack cross-straps as my early-war leather straps are actually incorrect and a little too short.

photo DSC_0209_zpseq6bzv7n.jpg

Arrrgghhhh! My eyes my eyes A padlock rattling against my mudguard.....No way!

Ron

That photo was taken when I first found the padlock. There's a lot less paint to chip off now. It does rattle though. I regularly look behind to see if there is a Triumph following me.

Thanks for the feedback guys, need to make me one of those kits.

I have to say i have a lot of questions on these bikes and im really enjoying the experience of owning one.

Cheers

Ant

Finally made my pack up for my rack, looks ok I think.

Thanks for the pics and support.

photo 20170415_104613_zpsio3lipx6.jpg

email (option): antkenmare@gmail.com

Someone had to ride behind Rik in France to let him know when his Tin hat had fallen off.

Ron

Who cares about paintwork, Ron ?
There is a war going on you know!

Hi Rik
I see you have some wire clips on the rear mud guard to hold the rear light wire.
Can I ask where you got them from? I am redoing a 1931 Ariel LF and I am looking for something like that for the rear light wire
Cheers
Steven

email (option): Goodbell@ripnet.com

I bought mine from Draganfly. They're bright stainless steel so I just painted them black. Ron

photo Big 4 428_zpsetlcuvis.jpg

Thanks Ron
I have an order sitting at drags as we chat I will add some to the order
Cheers

email (option): Goodbell@ripnet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1